Chapter 17 - Gale

I stare at the screen, questions running through my head. What is Katniss doing in Thirteen?   Why didn't she tell me her plan? What is she hiding from me? 

I don't have answers for any of those questions. I only know one thing for certain. I have to go after her. It's not safe for her to be there alone. I watch her enter Plutarch's office. At least she's safe for now. I call Beetee over to the monitor, and tell him where I'm going. 

He frowns. "It's not safe for you there. What if someone recognizes you?"

"I don't have a choice. It may be risky for me to go back, but if Katniss is caught they'll kill her. I just wish I knew what she was up to. She's been acting so strange lately."

Beetee sighs. "Do what you must, but be very careful. I'll be watching." He gestures to the screens in front of us. Just then, a call comes in from Plutarch. I answer it.

"Plutarch," I say, "What's going on with Katniss? Did she talk to you?"

"Yeah," He says, "You should probably come here. Katniss- She needs you right now."

"What is going on?"

Plutarch sighs. "I'm sorry, Gale, but that information isn't mine to tell. You need to talk to Katniss. Come straight to my office when you get here."

He hangs up. I sigh. "I think I'm more confused now then before he called. I need to get to thirteen."

Beetee nods. "Take your gun, and some tranquilizer darts. You can never be too safe."
I head to the armory, and pick up the stuff I need. On the way to thirteen, my list of questions only grows. I can't answer a single one of them.

You need to get to Katniss first, I remind myself. She has the answers. But what if the answers are things I don't want to hear? I need to know everything, though. So I walk into thirteen with new determination to do whatever I can for the woman I love.

I barge into Plutarch's office without knocking. What I see surprises me. Katniss is sitting in a chair, crying, and a doctor is comforting her. Katniss looks panicked when she sees me. I detect a trace of something else on her face. Is that... fear? 

"Gale, I-"

I cut her off. "Are you okay, Catnip?"

She shakes her head. "Oh, Gale, I didn't want you to find out this way, I-"

"Find out what?"

The fear is now plain on her face. "Gale, I- I'm Pregnant."

"What? When? Who-"

I stop because there's only one person it could possibly be. Only one person who she would even consider doing that with other than me. I turn away.

"I can't believe I actually thought you cared. I should've known you only-"

The door swings open, and standing in the doorway is the last person I want to see.

"Well, isn't this a nice little reunion?" Says Coin, "Too bad it can't last."

Two guards follow her into the room, but I react before they can grab us. I fire three shots from my gun. In a matter of seconds, Alma Coin is dead. The guards are alive but unconscious.

"Gale, please, let me expla-"

"There's nothing to explain, Katniss. You chose him. I thought you were better than that, but I was wrong."

Before she can speak, I walk out of the room. People who heard the gunshots flood the corridors looking for answers.

"Coin is dead!" I shout, "She was no better than Snow, and she deserved what she got! She-"

I spot my mother and run to her. There are tears streaming down her face as she embraces me.

"How is this possible?" She asks, "You- you're dead!" I just hug her tighter.

"I got away," I whisper, "Coin left me to die in the torture chambers and Beetee helped me escape."

"Where's Katniss?"

"Katniss is probably with her boyfriend," I say bitterly, "she doesn't care about me."

My mother looks shocked. "Who-?"

"Mellark," I say, practically spitting out the word.

Now my mom looks confused. "Gale, Katniss got in a fight with Peeta a few days after you- after you disappeared. They haven't spoken to each other since." She thinks for a moment. "Actually, I haven't seen Peeta in more than a week. He disappeared right after Katniss."

Now I'm confused. When did she sleep with him? Why? Could he have forced her to? I need answers, and talking to Katniss is the only way to get them.

"I need to go talk to her. Go back to your quarters and lock the doors, okay? It may get messy out here when everyone hears what happened."

She nods her consent. "One more thing, Gale."

"What?"

"Did you kill Coin?"

I sigh. "I did what I had to do." My mother walks away and I head back to Plutarch's office. Am I proud of what I did? Of course not. Was it necessary? Yes. Did she deserve it? Yes. Maybe one day this will haunt me, but right now I could care less.

Katniss is sitting where I left her. She looks thoroughly relieved to see me.

"Oh, Gale, I was so worried you wouldn't come back, I-"

"Just tell me the whole story, Katniss."

She sighs and begins. She starts at her fight with Peeta and ends with what happened in the torture chamber.

"You have to understand, Gale. She promised me the safety of my family and friends. I couldn't let her hurt them."

"So Peeta was hijacked?"

"Yes. It wasn't him."

"Are you going to tell him?"

"I'm not sure. Maybe, if Coin kept her promise to fix him, I might."

"I'll stay with you, Catnip. I'll support you. Always."

Katniss sighs. "I can't ask you to do that, Gale."

"You're going to need someone. Let me be that person. Let me be there for you."

Katniss gives me a small smile. "Alright, but not until you do something for me."

"What?"

"Take over the rebellion. Attack the capitol. Kill Snow. Then I'll be happy."

I smile. "Anything for you. Speaking of the rebellion, I was actually on my way to the capitol when Plutarch called me about you. I should probably get back to my headquarters."

Katniss tells me to stay safe, and I leave. I need to get out of thirteen as soon as possible. I'm on my way to the capitol, and if all goes well Snow will be dead by morning.