Chapter 16 - Katniss

Gale got a call from Beetee this morning, and apparently they needed him at headquarters immediately. I'm not completely sure what their whole operation is about, but I think I have an idea. They want to assassinate Coin and take over the rebellion.

I wanted to go with Gale, but he said it was too dangerous in my condition. He said when he gets back we'll find a doctor. But I already know what's wrong with me. I just don't want to accept it. Because if I'm right, it could change everything.

To be honest, I'm not nearly as weak as I've been acting. I needed an opportunity to sneak away while Gale was gone. I need to be completely sure that I'm right before I tell him. So I'm sneaking back into thirteen disguised as a refugee. 

I don't think the guards will be looking for me, because Coin probably told them that I'm dead. Hopefully no one else recognizes me. Gale said Plutarch is on our side, so I'm going straight to his office. 

Once I'm inside thirteen, I make my way down to Plutarch's office. As I pass others in the halls, I hear snippets of gossip. Everyone is talking about me. Coin evidently told them I went on some kind of secret mission. 

The other main topic of discussion is Peeta. They say he locked himself in his room about a week ago and refuses to come out. I wonder briefly whether Coin fixed him, and decide the probability is low. I make up my mind not to think about him. At least not until I have to.

I knock frantically on Plutarch's door, hoping no one recognizes me. He throws the door open wide, and then blanches. He grabs me by the arm and pulls me inside. 

"Katniss, are you crazy? If anyone saw you here..." 

He didn't need to finish that statement. If someone in cahoots with Coin had seen me, I would have been executed almost immediately. But I had to risk it. There was no other way. I summarize everything that happened to me in a low voice and tell him my suspicions. 

He pales even more. "Katniss, if your suspicions are correct, this could be disastrous. What are people going to say?" Then he evidentiary thinks of something else. "Does Gale know? Where is he anyway?" 

I shake my head. "I couldn't bring myself to tell him. He would be crushed. I... I know I'll have to tell him soon, but I just wanted him to be happy for once."

Plutarch sighs. "Coming here alone was a huge risk, but I can see why you did it. I'll call in a doctor." He picks up his phone and dials a number. He requests a certain doctor then hangs up. 

"Dr. Winston will be here as soon as possible. Don't worry, I trust her completely. She won't turn you in." I nod and attempt a feeble smile. "Look, I have to run some errands. Just stay in here and don't open the door, okay?" 

I sigh. "I wasn't planning on going anywhere. I'll be fine." 

He starts to leave, but pauses in the doorway. "We'll stand by you no matter what happens, Katniss. Remember that." Then he's gone. 

A few minutes later, the doctor comes in. Dr. Winston is a trim woman in her mid thirties with shoulder length blonde hair and green eyes. Her eyes widen with shock when she sees me.
"Miss Everdeen, I-"

Well, her reaction could have been worse. "Look, I know Coin probably told you I was gone or dead or something, but ...." I tell her the whole story, starting with Gale's arrest and ending with my escape. I tell her how sick I've been, and what I think the cause is. 

She frowns. "It will be risky to test your theory, but it can be done. Hopefully the machines won't recognize the blood as yours." The doctor gives me a small smile and wipes some antiseptic on my skin, then takes out a very sharp looking needle. She sticks it in my arm and collects a few drops of my blood in a small glass vial.

She gives me a small smile. "I'll be back in about fifteen minutes. Just.... Don't go anywhere, okay?" I nod and she heads back to her office.

While I wait for her to return, I think about the repercussions this could have. Plutarch is worried about what people will think, but I'm only worried about one person. Gale. Will he be mad, or just disappointed? Disappointed would be worse.

What if he's so upset that he leaves? What if he doesn't love me anymore? Dying would be better than living without him. If only I didn't have to tell him. But I do. Gale is all I have left.

Dr. Winston steps back into the room, and I know before she says anything. It's written all over her face.

"I'm so sorry, Katniss," she says. "You're pregnant."

Sooooo..... Do all you guys hate me now? I'm pretty sure you do. Anyway... Was that unexpected? What do you think Gale will do? I mean, I never said this would have a happy ending.... Plz comment and vote!
-Katrina