Gray x Reader - Thank you

Start from the beginning

We got to know each other in a hole.

Gray had asked me to come along for one of the quests Team Natsu was going on. He noticed that I only ever interacted with people at the bar and wanted me to get out of my comfort zone. He also thought it would have been a great time for me to get to know him and his little team that he worked with.

We were walking from the train to the destination written on the flier. Natsu and Happy were in front, their grins stretched across their faces. The two of them were so happy go lucky, it was amusing to just watch them. Erza and Lucy walked behind them, a map in Erza's hand and Lucy watched the pair in front of her, yelling when the two would complain. Wendy was behind them, her and Carla walked slightly to the side of the path, their eyes focused on the beautiful flowers that cascaded across the field. 

Gray and I were last. I admired the group and the surroundings, here and there chuckling at Gray's complaints about Natsu. I remembered vividly the feelings that would flow through my body when my hand slightly grazed his. I would lose my train of thought at an instant, the butterflies and rapid heart beat would take over.

Upon arriving at the destination, it was said that the task was basically just a scavenger hunt. Natsu cheered along with Happy, Erza got a look in her eye that meant she means business, Lucy and Wendy got excited quietly and Gray sighed.

Natsu paired with Happy.

Lucy joined Wendy and Carla.

Erza went alone.

Gray grabbed my hand and walked away before Natsu could take me.

Our team was pretty successful. Gray fought the things that would randomly attack and I figured out the codes and navigated the maps. We were heading back to the starting point as we just finished collecting everything. But I took a step and the floor around me collapsed. Gray was quick to grab my hand to catch me but the ground below him gave way to.

The drop was fast and Gray grabbed hold of me, quickly making sure that I was completely on top of him. He held me tightly and we awaited the ground. It hit hard, Gray grunted in pain and I gasped as all the air left my body.

I rolled off his body and gasped quickly to regain air, but only got a coughing fit as there was so much dirt in the air. Gray rolled over, moaning in pain as he rubbed his back and held his head.

"You didn't have to do that." I said right after I finished coughing.

"I know, but I did." Gray's voice was strained as he sat up, his back leaning against the walls of the hole. I felt guilty looking at his pained expression, but grateful none the less.

"Thank you." I sat next to him, leaning my head on the back of the wall, our shoulders touched. There was a still silence between the two of us. Gray broke it.

"If you don't mind me asking, why did you join Fairy tail? I was told you aren't a wizard."

"Well, I am a wizard, I'm just retired. I came to Fairy Tail for the bar tending job, joining was just a requirement." Gray nodded and decided not to pry, but I kept going. "There wasn't really a reason I retired, I guess I just got sick of it. I was always guild hopping. Ever since the first guild I joined I've never been truly happy. So I gave up magic to be happy, only to join another guild." I sighed, exasperated by my own story.

"Are you happy here, in Fairy Tail." I knew Gray was looking at me, his voice held guilt. But I turned to him and smiled.

"Never been happier."

Gray grinned at me, his usual half closed and annoyed eyes were opened brightly. I couldn't help but blush at his expression. We continued to talk, our topics ranged from Gray's past to the annoyances he had to face everyday, from Natsu to Juvia. But then there was nothing to talk about, and we still remained in the hole, no sign that Natsu or anyone was coming to find us.