"I've been looking for you." my voice soft as he landed a quick peck on the left side of my neck before resting his chin on my shoulder.

"Sorry, it's always crazy right before we leave." nodding in acceptance of his words while he gently started swaying our bodies to the sound of music I could only assume was playing in his mind. "So, why are you hanging out in the closet mama?"

"I was gonna start packing."

"Just take that little black strapless dress you have, that's all you need out of this closet."

"Prince I think I'll need more clothes than that for the next few months." his infectious laugh wrapped around me as he turned me around, finally coming face to face with the man whose makeup was perfectly done, hair pulled back into a very neat low ponytail his black button up shirt half unbuttoned.

"You need to go down to wardrobe tonight, I've had them make you some new outfits and they need to be fitted." his eyes moved over my face as he casually moved my hair back from the side of my face. Knuckles brushing over my right cheek as I felt my skin turning red at his attention.

"Oh. . ." my words cut short by the shrill sound of the rarely used phone on the bedside table coming to life. An apologetic look covered his features as he landed his lips against mine briefly before going to silence the invasive noise. Drawing a deep breath and letting the worry from moments earlier completely dissolve.  I would be on his arm, he was making sure of that. True to his word, he was taking care of me and I couldn't help but let the corniest smile ever lift my lips at that thought.

"Alexa." walking out of the closet a few minutes later I found Prince sitting on the side of the bed, a concerned look marring his soft features, as he reached out the receiver toward me. He slid back farther on the bed as I took the receiver and brought it to my ear.

"Hello?" firm arms wrapped around me, pulling me down to sit between his legs on the soft mattress.

"Alexa!" The little, slightly squeaky voice caused a wave of relief to crash over me.

"Kevin honey! Oh my god, how are you? are you ok?" the pressure of Prince's chin on my shoulder reminded me that he was still with me and the concerned look I'd witnessed on his features moments ago filled my head.

"I'm sorry if I made you mad." there was a caution in his young voice that had never been present before, a caution that no child that young should have.

"Mad? Kevin I'm not mad at you. Why would you think I'm mad?" The answer was already running through my mind and causing my stomach to turn.

"Daddy told me you were mad, because I bothered you and that's why you haven't been back." as Prince's grip around me tightened I realized the phone was loud enough for him to hear.

"No honey, I wasn't mad. I had so much fun with you." the slightest crack rang in my voice, a large hand laid flat against my thigh, smoothing over the fabric of my jeans. "Prince and I both had so much fun. Kevin," my mouth went completely dry as I tried to force the words past my lips, "honey are you alright?"

"Daddy moved back in." This small child was already a pro at not answering questions and I chewed nervously on my bottom lip as I contemplated what that meant.

"Is he being nice to you?"

"Him and mommy are loud." his voice getting quieter

"What do you mean? Yelling at each other?"

"I have to go, they're home. Bye Alexa." with that the line went dead and I was left wondering what the hell was really going on in that apartment and more importantly how was it effecting that poor child. The loud dial tone began to quiet as Prince grabbed the receiver, reaching over to place it back on the cradle. Kevin didn't sound like he was hurt, but the way he didn't answer any of my questions made me wonder. Maybe there was nothing behind that, but maybe there was.

"He apologized to me too." The deep timbre of his voice told me the call had shaken him slightly. Nodding my head softly to acknowledge his words, I still couldn't find the right words. "They told him we're mad at him, that doesn't, I mean, just, what the fuck is wrong with them?"

"I don't know what else to do." My words mumbled as I chewed nervously on my bottom lip replying events as they unfolded last time Kevin's dad moved back in. "Last time his dad lived there, he nearly killed Alysha." 

"I'll make sure this phone is forwarded to security while we're gone so if he calls they can help or they can try to reach you." The tone in his voice told me he wanted to do more, but we had both accepted there wasn't anything we could legally do.

"Thank you Prince" shaky fingers entwining with his on my thigh. Less than 48 hours and we'd be gone and while I knew there was nothing I could do for Kevin while I was in town, the idea of being across the world made me feel even worse.