Chapter 25

Early the next morning, before the sun even began to peak over the horizon, I was woken by the sound of a soft, mumbled voice. Stretching out on the couch, I found myself alone and under the warmth of a throw blanket that normally resided on the back of the comfortable piece of furniture.

"Good morning mama." Lifting my blanket covered feet up so he could take a seat, before placing my feet on his lap. A smile came across my face, I love these quiet moments between us, just us, no egos, no excuses, no one to interfere.

"Morning." My voice sounding more awake than I actually was as he smiled innocently at me. "Where's Kevin?" I inquired as Prince's hand massaged over my blanket covered foot.

"I carried him to your bed a few hours ago." Nodding, accepting his softly spoken words. "What's going on anyways? Why are you taking care of him?" Words laced thick with concern. I let my fingers drag through my hair as a heavy sigh pushed past my lips.

"A little while after I showed up yesterday, he came knocking on my door, asked if his mom sent me to look after him." Confusion covered his soft features, strong fingers still kneading at the arch of my foot.

"Where is Alysha?"

"She left the night before last, told him she's be back soon." His fingers stopped and I watched as concern was momentarily taken over by anger in his eyes. "I still haven't heard from or seen her. Honestly I'm glad I happened to come back here yesterday. I can't imagine. . ." My eyes drifted to the floor as the worst possible scenarios rolled through my mind. His hand ran up my blanket covered leg, as if to bring me back to the current situation. My eyes moving back to his, to find him watching me with his head cocked to the side. "I'm sorry things went down that way yesterday." Shaking his head, his eyes never leaving mine.

"I shouldn't have reacted that way, this is different for me. . . This is hard for me Alexa." Snaking my hand out from under the blanket, bringing my finger tips down to rest on his knuckles. "Seems like all my relationships have been with women who want something from me," flipping his hand over, running his thumb over my finger tips, "some help starting a career or some sort of name recognition, so I kept them all at least an arms length away from my business." Entwining his finger with mine. "But you mama, dont want any of that. . ."

"Prince, I am your friend before anything and I only want to make sure people aren't taking advantage of you." His eyes shifting down to the sight of our hands grasping each other as his head nods.

"I know and I'm trying to get used to that, but. . ." Timid eyes coming back up to mine, "it's a work in progress, I'm trying." Sitting up and scooting closer to him.

"Ok, just don't make me feel like there isn't a place for me in your life."

"I won't." His hand caressing my cheek, eyes studying my face. "I'm sorry." Slowly, as if he was afraid I would push him away, he brought his lips to mine in a gentle kiss. All the emotions of the last day poured forth in that kiss, the anger, frustration, heartbreak, and regret were all expressed as the kiss deepened and i laid back on the couch pulling him back with me. The firm press of his body against mine as he laid half on top of me was the comfort I'd missed lately. His hand trailing over my cheek, fingers slipping through my hair, as if his was learning my face, my feel all over again. Pulling back from the deepening kiss as I study the needy expression in his eyes.

"What time do you have to leave?" Running my hand up and down the line of his covered back.

"I called Adrienne already and had her cancel rehearsal today." Pushing stray hairs back behind my ear as he was propped up on one elbow watching me intently. "What are you going to do about Kevin?"  Drawing a deep breath as I shook my head gently, I'd been wondering the very same thing, but hearing him vocalize my internal thoughts made the situation feel that much more dire.