Chapter 24

I awake to the sound of sharp snapping. I open my eyes and find Astral looming over me, snapping his fingers close to my ear. He looks angry. Really, really angry.

"Why did you follow me, Yuma?" he asks as soon as he sees me awake. "Do you know how dangerous it is!?"

I flinch at his sudden outburst. "I-I have no idea what you mean," I lie.

I'm rewarded with Astral's hand coming down hard on my face. I look up at him with surprise and confusion. How was he able to do that? He didn't turn human, and he sure can't touch my skin when he's a ghost. So what happened? I look around and see green gears with a sort of gold glow.

"No need to get so violent, 12," the silver armored spirit says. "Especially with your Key Owner."

"Tell me, Yuma," Astral demands, ignoring the spirit's words. "Tell me the truth right now!"

"Alright, I did! I followed you because you keep sneaking off! I have no idea what's been happening, and I needed to know!" I answer.

"It is classified, Yuma," Astral hisses. "You of all people know my reasons for this."

I sit up, looking around. "Yeah, whatever. By the way, where are we?" I ask, hoping to change the subject.

"We are inside the Emperor's Key," Ena answers. She places her hand on Astral's shoulder. "The boy was just curious. It is harmless," she tells him soothingly.

"No, it is not. He got killed last time because he went and saw the enemy!" Astral's glare becomes less intense for a while. Then, it returns s he turns to the rest. "Find him! I want that Number here right now!" he commands.

The others place their right hands over their hearts and nod, splitting off quickly to keep from feeling Astral's wrath.

Astral turns back to me. "That was a foolish thing to do, Yuma. You could have been killed," he scolds, but his eyes hold worry, not anger. "I do not know what I would have done if you died. I can only revive you once, and I need a Key Owner to stay here! Do not ever do that again!"

"I don't even remember what happened," I say. "All I remember is Black Mist mentioning a game, then I blacked out."

"That is because he took hold of your mind.  He can control you without your knowledge. That is why is was stupid to go." Astral crosses his arms. "Do not ever do that again. Promise me that."

"I promise," I say flatly.

"Swear on your own soul?"

I raise my right hand. "I swear it on my life, soul, and mind."

Astral nods in approval. He then places a hand on my shoulder, and white light engulfs me.

When the light fades, I'm back in my room, sitting on the floor. I blink a few times. Was I really inside the Key? I thought only Astral could do that. I look outside. It's night. Is it the same night? It might be, but I have no way of knowing other than asking Astral, and I have a feeling that he's not in the mood. I have no idea what's gotten into him lately.