“Bring it on, baby,” I confirmed darkly, pushing a few buttons. “I pick the song.”

“And why would I let you pick?” he asked, frowning mockingly.

“Because I am a girl and you always have to give girls whatever they want,” I teased.

He rolled his eyes. “I obviously have a lot to learn if that is true.”

“All right, let’s get this thing started.” I said, pushing the last button. “Ready?”

He nodded in confirmation. “Oh, you bet your ass I’m ready.”

‘Sex on Fire’ by the Kings Of Leon sounded all around me – surround-sound-system, I guessed. I got lost in the song immediately, playing wildly on the plastic guitar. I remembered playing this game with my friends back home all the time; I was way better than any of them, but Anne had improved a lot lately. The two of us had played almost every day, getting better and better. We knew it was kind of geeky, but neither of us had ever cared about that. It was fun to sing and play along with all of our favorite songs. I liked being able to keep playing Guitar Hero here at my new school – which was my new home as well. I felt a strange kind of fitting in and a home sickness at the same time.

“Hah – I told you I rule,” I said happily, sticking out my tongue at Simon after winning the song. “Next one’s your choice.”

“This is my song; you won’t beat me at this.” He seemed slightly flustered. “Wait and see.”

‘Bleed American’ by Jimmy Eat World blasted through the room. I smiled, recognizing the song. He’d have to be good to beat me at this one; I had this song practically memorized. We both did our best, but I had to admit Simon was good – very good. He won this song by far, playing just way better.

“I told you I was good too.” He did a little victory dance, making himself look stupid beyond belief. He was holding the guitar in the air, sort of head-banging, his hood wildly dancing on his back. I thought it was very sweet. “Another one?”

I grinned. “Sure. How about ‘A-punk’ by Vampire Weekend?”

“One of my personal favorites.” Simon nodded, putting the song on. “Good luck, you’ll need it.”

I laughed out loud. “We’ll see about that.”

Just when we were both playing enthusiastically and even singing loudly, the door burst open. We both stopped playing, missing all of our cues. A tall dark boy with curly black hair stood in the doorway, his eyebrows raised so high it almost looked funny. He was wearing a brown shirt which was richly decorated with beads at the collar. He had his hands in the pockets of his baggy black jeans and his shoes were simple blue sneakers that were worn with age.

“Well, well, and what do we have here?” He mused, his voice soft but clear.

“Hey, Antwan, I brought a friend,” Simon replied, looking at the floor. “Hope you don’t mind.”

“Nice to meet you,” I said, stepping forward to shake his hand. “You must be one of Simon’s roommates. I'm Demona, a friend of Simon’s.”

Antwan shook my hand politely, holding it just a bit longer then what was normal. “Demona – you wouldn’t happen to be the new female vampire, would you?”

“That’s me: vamp girl,” I confirmed, smiling grimly.

“Nice to meet you.” He sat down on a chair after sweeping the clothes off of it and gestured for me to sit down too.

“We were in the middle of a song, so if you don’t mind…” I explained, gesturing toward the TV.

“Of course not, please play,” Antwan said with a kind smile.