45 ∞ the objective

Start from the beginning

She stepped down from the porch and looked up. "Oh, there you are... Didn't you hear me looking for you? I wanted your advice on something."

"No, Mom, I didn't hear you—I'll be right down."

Selina's deep thought took her back to the early days of her assignment, in the days when her name was only Blanc Aave. Entering the garden dome through the inner archway, she absorbed green energy from the lush trees as she passed them.

She found Queen Leyonara near the large pond, placing a bundle of mixed flowers in the basket King Urson carried, conversing. Both wore their casual loose-fitting tunics in earth tones matching their hair, the king in dark burnt ochre and the queen in yellow sienna, laced with subtle metallic threads.

As Leyonara stepped to a hanging rose bush, dozens of butterflies launched to the air and fluttered around her, a dancing aura of color and iridescence.

Her laughter rang through the air. "Good morn, my flower wardens."

Several perched on her lifted arm before they all streamed off to the nearest hibiscus tree.

King Urson chuckled. "You never cease to amaze me, my love." He caught sight of Aave as she halted at a respectful distance. "I believe you have an update approaching. Shall I take these to the hall?"

"Ah! Yes, my dear, thank you. Please ask Faera to arrange them on the tables."

Blanc Aave bowed her head slightly as the king's large frame approached.

"She misses your company, you know, now that you oversee the little ones," he said quietly, pausing.

"I know." Aave smiled.

"Saw you how the butterflies commune with her? Could you share that image with our Daughters?"

"Aye."

"When you see it fit, of course." Urson nodded, smiling through his trimmed beard.

"Of course, my King."

Aave dipped her head again as he continued on his way and Leyonara came to her and took her hands.

"Good morn, Blanc Aave. I believe you and my consort hatch plans in secret." Leyonara lifted a brow at her and smiled. "I mind not. What news have you for me today, my friend? How are my babies?"

"Good morn, my Queen. Both are well and showing much promise. I shall conduct my visits shortly."

"It is their ninth monthday today... One year already! How long is it to their Medolescenthood Ceremony? I cannot wait to meet them."

"In 99 months. Worry not—time will fly."

Aave described the latest milestones passed as they walked arm in arm to the exit steps of the palace dome where the clear foot transit tunnel began.

Leyonara turned to her. "Can I expect your presence at the yearday celebration dinner tonight? You may make a brief report to the Council then."

"I shall be here, my Queen."

Blanc Aave took her leave, phasing out of visibility and relocating at her destination near the highlands of West Amasia over 6,000 kilometers away. She usually alternated the order in which she visited the Daughters. This time she would see the Daughter hosting the black jaguar DNA—a green-eyed bundle of joy with black hair that promised to grow thick and straight, reminiscent of the people originally native to the region.

She descended through the roof of the dome habitat to locate the modest residence near the center of the city. Through the window on the second floor, she saw little Mic Lepantra Wamba sitting on the Royal Matrona's lap. Remaining invisible, Aave passed through the wall and approached for closer observation. The sound of that sweet voice still thrilled Aave; it radiated love, filling the room.