PREVIEW

This is a preview of the story I will be posting in the near future. I'm really excited about it so I hope this gets you guys as pumped as I am 

---

"...and government officials will be meeting to dissect the area and surrounding counties and determine evacuation zones. Join us tomorrow morning for a rundown of their jurisdictions." The TV flickered, interrupting the steady flow of news.

The boy patted his leg. "Come on girl," he beckoned his dog as he opened the back door. Warm summer air immediately greeted him, persisting even in the typically cooling night. His pet zipped outside eagerly and the boy laughed, following it. The dachshund beelined for a neon tennis ball that sat in the grass nearby and obediently ran it back to its owner. The boy wrestled it from his dog's jaw and teased her a bit before throwing the ball far into the treeline at the end of the yard.

Without thinking twice, the dog bounded after it and disappeared in the dark. The boy waited a few moments, expecting to see his best friend approaching at any moment, showing off the retrieved ball with pride.

The boy grew worried as minutes began to add up.

Starting forward, the boy whistled. "Come here, girl!" His voice evaporated in the sticky breeze. "Bring it back here!"

There was the sound of rustling brush. The boy smiled as he turned, ready to greet the canine as it returned.

Something came towards the boy in the grass. He bent down.

The tennis ball.

The boy looked up. No sign of his dog.

He jumped when he heard a small noise.

A metallic whirring, like a heavy, constant exhale released by the world's most tired laborer.

Then there was a clicking. The snapping of gears grinding against each other and machinery crunching upon itself.

The boy turned around again. He did not see his dog coming towards him through the trees.

And suddenly the night became very cold.