2

John and I walked for miles before he said, "Did you chase her?"

"Ophelia?" I said, eyebrow cocked.

"And she said that you are smart," he scoffed.

"I didn't. She talked to me first. I couldn't believe that a woman like her was talking to me."

He nodded his head as we walked.

"Can I ask a slightly personal question?"

He didn't answer but I thought if he protested he would have said something.

"Why'd you adopt, Ophelia?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, the world is rebuilding and-" "And she needed a family. Are you really saying that a small child's life isn't worth saving in a time of crisis?"

"Of course no,t.." I said softly. "I've just always wondered if there was a reason or.."

He sighed then said slowly, "We did adopt her..But she is my biological daughter. I had an affair."

I couldn't believe what he had just said. I nodded then said, "Does Karen know?" I know Ophelia's mom would have stayed with John even if she had known, her and Ophelia were one of the same. Lia stayed with me even after I cheated.

"So what are our plans after we graduate?" I asked as I gripped her hand. My other hand traced over her jagged scars.

"What do you mean "our"?" She had a slight hint of discontent in her voice. She pulled back her wrist, glaring at me.

"I mean, I'm going to The York Institution..and I was thinking that you can come with me-" "I have plans. I do not need to follow you across the country."

"Do you not want to come with me?"

"I have plans," she said again, not confirming or denying.

"What are they?"

She sighed then said, "Do you have to be so condescending?"

"I just..want to know." My hand stopped tracing over her scars. "If you can't tell I want to spend my life with you."

"Do you? Because less than a month ago you could not care less about me."

"Stop.." I begged.

"I'm just saying..I think maybe..this was fun..but we need to go our own ways."

"Or maybe..not? We could have a life together. You and I.."

She laughed then said, "You will find another girl.." She paused thinking about her then she finished with, "That you will actually love."

"Lia.."

She slide away from me and said, "I just want someone to love me as much as I love them. And you're not that person."

"I am!" I said loudly. She smiled and looked down at her crossed legs. "No, you are not, Cal." She shrugged then sat against my headboard. She grabbed my hand and said, "But it hurts too much..to leave."

"Then don't," I begged again. She looked at me, waiting for me to say something. I didn't know what though.

"Karen knew..But..after the woman got pregnant, I told her if she kept her mouth shut I would pay her and adopt the baby..so she wouldn't have to get rid of it."

"Wow, you're such a saint." I mocked.

"How she ever loved you..I'll never know."

"She still does love me. She's looking for me," I said through my teeth.