The Duke rubbed the back of his head and winced. "Yes, now I remember...I did do that, didn't I?"

This was new to me, but when I glanced over at Mother and Father, they didn't seem surprised in the least.

"What exactly was Heacham, Your Grace?" Mother tightened her grip and then loosened it. Her eyes still flashed with gold and silver, a clear indication she was nervous. "What did he do?"

"Nothing. Not directly at least. But he has guards at his front gate. Wouldn't let me in, even when I identified myself and told them my business."

"Your business?" Father's brow furrowed. "What sort of business was that?"

"I wanted to gain a bit of perspective, you see." He stifled a yawn, but not very well. "He has staged numerous attacks on pockets of Elementals around London recently, and I was attempting to ask him what he meant by it."

"You weren't also about to ask if he was a Huntley supporter, were you?" Mother's voice had an edge to it, something that happened whenever the man was mentioned.

"Perhaps," said the Duke, sagging back against his pillows. He seemed to have lost all his energy at once. "I cannot remember clearly now."

Mother took a deep breath, composing herself. "We apologise for interrogating you like this, Your Grace. Especially when you've only just woken. Would you like anything to eat, perhaps, while we're here?"

"Soup, if you have it, milady. It may be all I can stomach at the moment."

"Of course, Your Grace, of course." Mother gave him a cordial nod, and then glanced at my sister. "And you, Lottie...you must be exhausted, my darling."

"I'm all right, Mama, really," Lottie said, but it was clear she was not. There was a clear fatigue in her manner, even the way her words dragged.

"No, my darling, I know you aren't." Mother nodded towards the door. "Go rest now. His Grace will be fine from now on."

"She's right, Lady Charlotte." The Duke patted Lottie's hand gently and then let it go. "I will be up and about soon enough."

Reluctantly, Lottie stood, and Mother guided her out into the corridor. Father clasped my shoulder and gave it a squeeze before also leaving. I'd never been alone with the Duke before, but the way he watched me with his bright golden eyes, shifting like the heart of a flame, put me on edge instantly.

"They told me not to come back, Master Peter," he said quietly. "The men who beat me...they threatened to kill me if I did."

"It seems a common threat with the Huntley types," I said, although as I did, and got a better look at the bruises on his face and shoulders, a wild idea was forming in my head. It was mad, one that would surely get us injured, in trouble, or both. "But you are safe here, as long as you don't go near them again."

"I won't," he said with a heavy sigh. "At least not yet."

"No, not yet," I agreed. "Good night, Your Grace. It's good to see you on the mend."

"Thank you, Master Peter. Good night."

||

Charlotte

Petey was unusually quiet in the days after the Duke woke up. I was used to my brother being quiet, of course, especially when he was brooding over Grace. But this time, he did not seem to be thinking of her. Sometimes he would even shake his head to himself, as if banishing a thought.

By the fourth day of this, I was fed up with it. I caught him before he went into the dining room for luncheon, pulling him into the narrow corridor between the wall and the stairs.