She laughed.  “But he was just sooo dreamy!  His crystal blue eyes were like diamonds in the sky, and his sandy blonde hair,” she laughed harder and continued, “Was so hot!”

We used to go over this a lot.  Me acting disgusted, her acting disgusting, then we laugh so hard and get in a pillow fight or something, trying to get the other one to stop.

“So did he ask you to forgive him and be his girlfriend again, or…” we laid in bed (well actually her in bed, I was on the floor.)  The lights were out, so the only light was coming from the windows.  The moon was big.  I wondered if Kyle’s a wolf right now or whatever he turns into.

“Well he apologized a million times, and then he told me he understood if I never spoke to him again.”

“Well do you forgive him?”

“Well, I don’t know.  I mean, he left for a year, not talking to anyone.  Even you, his twin sister.  Or me, who spent the whole time thinking it was my fault he was gone.  That’s pretty bad.  But seeing him tonight, it was like he never left.  Like he was here the whole time.  I know how clichéd that sounds, but really.”

I felt a little guilty about not telling her about the bit of contact I had with my brother.  “Hey, Kat, how serious were you guys?  Like did you ever…” I trailed off not wanting to say it.

“Ever what?  Do the nasty?  No.”  she giggled a bit.

“Well were you in love?  I mean you were together for a long time.  I would have guessed you were in love with him.”

She fake gasped.  “Well Lainey Butler.  I thought you didn’t believe in love!”

I smiled.  “Well, a lot has changed in the last few days.  Truth be told, I believe in it, I just don’t think I’m ever going to feel it again.  Or have anyone feel it towards me.  I’m meant to be alone I guess.”

I closed my eyes and rolled over onto my side, deciding to try and sleep when a pillow came down on my head really hard.

“Hey!  What was that for?”

“For saying that!  Don’t think that, don’t say it, and don’t you dare believe it!”

“Look, Kat, I’m too tired to deal with this right now, okay?  Now goodnight!”

I rolled over onto my other side and shut my eyes tight, willing myself to sleep.

“Happy birthday, Kat!”

I jumped on her bed to wake her up.  This was sort of routine.  Every year on her birthday I wake her up at some ungodly hour, this year it was six in the morning.  She did the same for me, so I returned the favor every year.

“What time is it this year?”  She groggily sat up in her king sized bed, rubbing her eyes.

“Six!  Now get up!  I want to give you your present!”

That got her out of bed in just a few seconds.  It was Thursday and her birthday.  Her party was the next day and so we had to work today.  She threw on her work shirt and jeans and I did the same.

“Now, what did you get me?”

I rummaged through my backpack and got out a small jewelry box wrapped in a colorful sparkly paper.  I handed it to her and she quickly trashed the wrapping.  She opened the lid to the box and pulled out a cheap necklace from Claire’s.  It was a silver chain with a pink mushroom that said ‘best’ on it.

We had a rule; we weren’t allowed to spend more than fifteen dollars on birthday presents.

“Where’s the other?”

I pulled the green necklace that said ‘friends’ out from under my shirt.  “Well thank you.”

We went downstairs and she sat at the table with her laptop while I made pancakes.  Another tradition is that I always made chocolate chip pancakes.

“Hey, we’re out of syrup.””

“That’s fine.  I’ll run to the store really quick and get something.”

I ran outside to my car (Yes, I could walk now.  It still hurt, but it was tolerable.)and started the engine.  “Kyle, you out here?”

I looked around and saw him sit up in the backseat.  “Yeah.  Where’re we going?”

“There’s a Walmart about three minutes away.  I just need some of that maple extract stuff.”

He nodded and I drove.  “So are you going to come in with me?”

“No, just be quick.”

I ran into the store and asked the first person I saw where flavor extracts would be.

I went in that direction and found the right aisle right away, but it took me a while to find maple extract.  When I did I hurried to the front and did the self check out and ran outside.  When I got back in the car, Kyle sat up again.  “That was fast.”

“How fast?”

He looked at his watch.  “Two minutes fast.”

“Good.  Now I just get back in two minutes, and Katie won’t have even noticed I was gone.  Except for the fact that she saw me leave and I told her where I was going.”  I laughed and so did he.

“Except for that.”

We were quiet in the drive back until we were going down the street.  “Hey, so are you okay out here?  I can probably sneak you inside tonight if you want.”  I didn’t want to be nice to this guy, but it was hard to hate him.

“No, I’m fine.”

I mentally shot myself for what slipped out of my mouth next.  “Well why don’t you come inside tomorrow for Katie’s party?”

“Maybe.”

I was relieved when he didn’t say a definite yes.  “Is that a probably yes or no?”

“It’s a maybe.”

[A/N:  What do you think?  I don’t know if you guys love it, but I love writing!  Please vote and/or comment!  And happy late presidents day!  My mom made cherry pie!]