The Email

My name is Ashley Woods. I'm a senior in high school, 17 years old, elite swimmer, and I can sing. I've been posting covers on YouTube hoping to get noticed. I get a lot of amazing comments saying that she should get a record deal. I have a scholarship for University of Southern California for swimming and my major will be music.

"Okay Jaykob, start filming. Hi, I'm Ashley Woods and today I'll be singing 'Treat You Better' by one of my favorite artists, Shawn Mendes. If you like what you see, like and subscribe."

"I won't lie to you
I know she's just not right for you
And you can tell me if I'm off
But I see it on your face
When you say that she's the one that you want
And you're spending all your time
In this wrong situation
And anytime you want it to stop

I know I can treat you better than she can
And any guy like you deserves a real woman
Tell me why are we wasting time
On all your wasted crying
When you should be with me instead
I know I can treat you better
Better than she can

I'll stop time for you
The second you say you'd like me to
I just wanna give you the loving that you're missing
Baby, just to wake up with you
Would be everything I need and this could be so different
Tell me what you want to do

'Cause I know I can treat you better than she can
And any guy like you deserves a real woman
Tell me why are we wasting time
On all your wasted crying
When you should be with me instead
I know I can treat you better
Better than she can

Better than she can

Give me a sign
Take my hand, we'll be fine
Promise I won't let you down
Just know that you don't
Have to do this alone
Promise I'll never let you down

'Cause I know I can treat you better than she can
And any guy like you deserves a real woman
Tell me why are we wasting time
On all your wasted crying
When you should be with me instead
I know I can treat you better
Better than she can

Better than she can

Better than she can"

"Thank you." I signal Jaykob to turn off the camera. "That was good babe." "Thanks." I gave him a quick peck on the lips.

A few days later I get an email from some guy.

Hello Ashley,
My name is Andrew Gertler, I work for Island Records. I saw your YouTube videos and I think you have an amazing voice and a bright future ahead of you. We would like to sign you for our recording studio. One of my clients, Shawn Mendes, would love for you to join him on tour. The tour starts June. Please contact me as soon as possible.
Thanks.

Holy shit! Shawn fucking Mendes wants me to join him on tour. I text Jaykob.

Ashley- Babe! I got an email from Island Records. They want to sign me and Shawn Mendes want me to join him on tour!
Jaykob- Holy shit! That's amazing! I told you you'd make it! When do you leave?
Ashley- Not till June. So after we graduate. That's good, doesn't effect with school.
Jaykob- Do you think your going to reject USC?
Ashley- I have to now. A tour takes a long time so I don't have much of an option.
Jaykob- Have you told your parents yet?
Ashley- No, I literally just got the email. I will in a little bit.
Jaykob- I'm sure they'll support you in this.
Ashley- I hope so

I go downstairs where my parents were on their phones. "Mom, dad?" "Yes Ashley?" "So you know how I've been posting covers on YouTube?" "Yeah." "Well, I got an email from Island Records. They want me to sign for them and Shawn Mendes invited me on his tour." "Oh my god! That's great! When do they want you to sign?" "I don't know. But Shawn's tour starts in June after I graduate." "What about USC? Will you have to drop out?" "Yeah, I will." "That's okay. What matters is that my daughter is going to be famous!"

I contact Andrew.

Hello Andrew,
I gladly accept your offer to sign me. I would also love to join Shawn Mendes on tour. Let me know when I have to sign.
Thanks,
Ashley Woods

I immediately get an email back.

Hi Ashley,
We are glad you accept our offer. We would like you to come to New York this Saturday if that works with you. I'll send you the flight information on Friday.
Andrew.

Hi Andrew,
Saturday works with me. Thank you so much for this opportunity.

On Friday I get the flight information for New York. It has 2 tickets. I know exactly who to take.
Ashley- Hey, would you like to go to New York with me?
Jaykob- Holy shit! Yes! When?
Ashley- Tomorrow
Jaykob- Let me ask my parents
Jaykob- They said yes!
Ashley- Okay, our flight leaves at 10:00 am.
Jaykob- Sounds good!