Mariah’s head shot up from the cigarette box, her eyes gaping. “What?”

“I said you don’t need that. Secondhand smoke and shit.”

“Can you get that from the smell?” Mariah asked.

“I don’t know and I don’t care. I don’t want her around our baby with that shit.”

Our baby?

Mariah nodded her head slowly. “So, what do you think the smoke would do to the baby?”

“Well you know what alcohol does, so that’s just as bad, if not worse. Probably something really horrible. That’s why I said make sure Fallon stays out there for awhile.”

Mariah dropped her eyes back down to the box, nodding along with Janet’s words. She reopened the box, resting the cordless house phone between her ear and her shoulder. She slid one cigarette out and placed the box back down on the table.

“She might not even be there though so you may not have to worry.” Janet said.

“Yeah, you’re right.” Mariah responded--her tone distant. She searched around the area for a lighter, giving up before long.

She walked from Fallon’s quarters into the kitchen, looking for a lighter. She went through all the drawers, cabinets, and even random containers. Allthewhile, Janet rambled on and on in the background.

She took a deep breath.

“What are you doing, girl? What’s all that clinkin and clankin?” Janet asked.

“Nothing. Just cleaning up around the kitchen.”

“Now what did I tell you about that? You need to be resting!” Janet started.

Oh god. Mariah thought, preparing for the stern talking-to Janet was about to give her.

Mariah tried to tune her sister-in-law out again and continue on her search for a lighter. She nearly stepped out of the kitchen before-

Shit, why didn’t I think of that?

She stared directly at the gas range in front of her. She turned the burner on and placed the edge of the tobacco rod into the flame. Once the cigarette was lit, she turned the burner off and shuffled outside to the backyard area so that the scent of burning tobacco wouldn’t permeate the inside of the house.

“Oh my god, girl don’t watch the news today they got damn Lisa Marie on here talking shit.” Janet advised.

“Is that right?” Mariah asked, putting the cigarette up to her lips and sucking in as much as she could. She held her breath for a few moments before the urge to cough overwhelmed her. She began coughing up a storm as the smoke formed a small cloud.

“What’s wrong girl? Aw hell, don’t tell me Fallon done walked in smelling like that shit!” Janet exclaimed.

Mariah shook her head, trying to stop herself from coughing.

“Nah, this water just went down the wrong pipe.” She said, before taking another drag of the cigarette, causing her to cough again, but this time less severe. “Shit!”

Janet laughed. “Stop drinking it.”

Mariah smiled into the phone, the feeling of cigarette smoke singeing her lungs and at the same time relaxing her mind.

“I can’t.” She said, her voice sounding noticeably more stuffy.

“You can though if you don’t learn how to work your mouth to make it go down the right pipe.” Janet joked.