19. The Friend I Lost

*IMPORTANT NEWS AT THE END OF THE CHAPTER

[ N I S H A ' S    P O V ]

Scared. I was scared in the morning when I woke up, I was scared when mom and dad didn't pick up their call, I was scared when Kabir hugged me so tightly like I would disappear in a moment and still I was scared that something bad would happen. A dark feeling had rested at the bottom of my stomach, making me scared of everything going around me that something bad happened and I had no control over it.

As the bell rang for the end of the last lecture, I took a deep breath and shut my copy in agitation. From my side, Radhika stared at me in confusion but I shrugged it off and stuffed my books inside my bag but my hands were shaking and they fell on the ground. Groaning, I bent down to pick them up but a pair of hands did the job for me.

"Thank you," I said to him, without caring who it was and snatched my copies from him.

Stupid professor conducting the seminar on an exam day.

"Never mind," He replied back smoothly. "Do you mind giving me your notes?" I bobbed my head to see the intruder.

For a minute I was confused, then a memory knocked and I remembered he was Rahul's brother. I narrowed my eyes in suspicion and asked, "Did Rahul send you? Tell him to fuck off because I'm not falling into his wannabe pranks. What you Khanna boys think of themselves, huh? Stupid with no IQ level--"

"Hey hey relax. I really need your notes apart from all the anger and hatred you and Rahul has." He settled his specs in the place. "I really need them. I hadn't given one of the exams because I got sick."

"Oh," I said, feeling stupid and lashing out at him for no reason. "Sorry, here it is." I took my copy from the bag and handed it to them. "But return me by the end of the week."

"Sure. Thanks." Smiling his boy charm, he tumbled down the steps and I rolled my eyes to the girl standing next to him. I had slap her arm to move her out of the la la land she was living in.

She rubbed and glared at me, but ignoring, I went out of the class and weaved my path from the crowd to get out of the college building. As soon I was out, I saw Rahul standing next to his car with a troubled and saddened look. What was he doing here?

Seeing him, the ugly knots appeared and the feeling got more bad. Something bad had happened. I could feel it in every sense of mine.

His gaze fell on mine and he waved his hands for me to come over. Saying bye to Radhika, I trudged forward and crossed my fingers. My heartbeat had increased, my palms were sweaty and my hands were shaking. Something bad had happened. Something far bad than I could imagine.

"Rahul, what are you doing here?"

For once, he didn't have that cocky look but regret in his eyes as he mumbled, "Get in the car. You need to be somewhere important."

"What?"

"Please, Nisha," He pleaded, touched my hand and rubbed his thumbed in a slow motion on top of my skin. "Don't ask questions. I can't answer any. Just get in the car."

"What about mine?"

"Driver will fetch that." Nodding, I settled down on the passenger seat. He started the car, but not once in the whole ride, he stared at me even when I kept on asking him what was wrong. I could feel it in my bones the grave danger. I whispered words to my heart to control the anxiety but nothing helped. I covered my face with my hands but it didn't help. Nothing helped.

He parked the car in the driveway, but didn't get out and stared at me. I didn't look at him as I stared at the number of cars in the driveway and the number of people lurking outside. My cousin brother gaze met mine. His eyes were red, his clothes were faded and he stepped forward but I changed my gaze to Rahul.