21. The Sister I Love

[ R A H U L ' S    P O V ]

Grinning to myself, I gawked ahead at the place and squealed inside the car. She was here. We were there. For years, I had tried to tarry away from her, and everything that happened felt like a dream I would break away with soon. She was in my arms, smiling and grinning. We were together for those few moments I would wreath in my heart and hold on to forever.

She was here. Princess was here.

Laughing at my foolish behavior, I latched open the car, ran out of it and proceeded inside the house to be met by the sight of my angry brother. He leaned against the wall, shooting accusing arrows at my side but I looked away. The guilt started swimming its way before I could put a stop sign on it. His hatred for me was describable as well as valid. I was a perpetual reminder of what his father did, what his mother went through and how I was the reason of every family problem of his life.

"Nisha broke up with me in morning. Said it wasn't my mistake," He chortled. "Weird, isn't it? I thought she liked me, not love, but at least, like."

"Veer," I called out his name in emergency. I had forseen this conversation, and numerous times equipped myself for him, but never I got how to explain him my situation. How to make your brother understand that you didn't steal his girl?

"Goa, huh?" He peeled himself off the wall, stepping and standing opposite to me. "I wonder what you did there to change Nisha's mind."

"I was going to tell you---"

"That you were with my girlfriend!" He yelled. "You knew I loved her, and yet you stole her away from me. You stole my dad, my mom and now her as well. What's your problem?" I refused to glance at him, paid attention to my shiny black leather shoes. "You always ran after her. I used to think it was because you wanted to be in good eyes of your rich friend but how wrong I was. You loved her. You love her. You always did."

"I'm sorry—"

"Don't. I know you'll break her heart. That's what you've been doing for years."

"I'm not—" Before I could complete the sentence, a hard blow was thrown against my fist and the stinging pain exploded.

"That's the thing I don't believe in," He seethed through his teeth. "Truth is you can't see my happiness."

"Happiness?" I exaggerated through my pain. "She your happiness? How can she be your happiness when you don't even know a thing about her!"

I had enough of him telling me how he loved Nisha and I stole her away from him, but in reality, he never got her. She was trying to get on the nerves of everyone and was confused about everything. She was in pain and grief and thought being in a relationship would assassinate all of it. She never loved him in the first place, and no doubt, it was wrong on her path to lead Veer. She hurt him, and none of our sorries would make up for it.

He was crazy about her, talked about her with me, halted me to know what she liked or not. Nisha was the only topic he talked about with me, and I was delighted. At those moments, I had him as my brother. How could I hate him when he was my family?

"I know her more than you."

"Really?" I smirked through my pain. "What's Nisha most afraid of losing?" He had a confused face. "You thought I would ask her favorite things? That doesn't matter if you can't see what's inside her heart."

"She's afraid of losing herself." He guessed.

"Most of us are but not she," I stated. It was comical to see them in a relationship when he didn't know the basic thing about her. Everyone knew what she was afraid of losing. "She's afraid of losing her brother the most. You don't know a thing about her. You don't know how much she hates being lonely or when somebody touches her hair, or she hates lies. Damn, it makes her so angry. You don't know that inside that brave girls lays a broken who is too tired with life but still smiles. Have you seen her nose? Always angry and pointed or maybe it's only there when she's fighting with me. You don't know how distracting her eyes are and damn her hair. Why are they so soft? And that smile, that's a game weapon. It plays with your heart, makes you halt, look at it and make you wonder how hard it's to take eyes off her."