Chapter 47: The Day

There's not one word to describe this day, not one that would work, not yet. None come to mind.

=== Time skip to wedding after months of Travis and Katelyn living in changing hotel rooms for their own safety  and nothing happened to them ===

Staring at the mirror, he pulled his tie and tucked it into his suit jacket. Today, was the day.

She stood in her room, friends frantically trying to fix up the dress.

He had a few friends in the back helping him keep his cool. When he suddenly panicked thinking what if she ran away or left him, he just glanced at his friends eyes. The looks confirmed those thoughts were stupid and that she wouldn't leave for anything.

She was completely calm with others running around to keep her calm. All of the overwhelming behavior happening around her started to work her up. All it took was a glance in the mirror. The dress was perfect. Simple yet beautiful. Her hair was cooperating and her minimal makeup approach was working in her favor. Just the one glance at how the dress looked soothed her nerves. Besides, she already was committed to him; this was just a formal way of showing it. She stopped Aphmau.
"Hey, Aph, could you grab me a bottle of water?"
She takes it down on a notepad,
"Yes ma'am." She says calmly. She steps out side and closes the door, then yells
"NEED A WATER FOR THE BRIDE PRONTO HURRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!"
• • •
The two looked at each other, ready for the standing to finally end. Katelyn says the two words left. Smiling, she says it.
"I do."

"I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may now kiss the bride."
•••
One last picture of everyone is snapped and the exhausted couple step into the car and get driven away, looking back at the family, co workers, and friends cheering, crying, and clapping. Once the car was far out of sights, Katelyn slumped down in her seat and leaned on Travis's shoulder. He put his arm around her and held her. Travis had let his eyes be closed without falling asleep so that when Katelyn fell asleep he could wake her up with enough time to mentally prepare for the excitement to follow.
-----------
"Hey guys!" Travis says as he walked into the girls house with Katelyn under his arm. Everyone decided to have a smaller friend hangout after instead of a huge after party and Aphmau immediately volunteered this house. Everyone planned to get dressed into a little less fancy attire and hang out there after so that's what they did. Katelyn wore a white shirt.
After food, dancing, talking, and of course cake, Travis stood on a chair and tapped a glass with his fork.
"Can I have attention for a moment?"
He put the glass down.
"Hey, Katelyn. Uh, there's no real way to say how much I love you. The three words are said too much but not while thinking of how strong the words are meant to be. Just... you mean the world to me because you are the world to me, and there's no one I'd rather be with no matter what happens."
Claps are thrown around the room and Katelyn walks up to hug Travis. She goes to speak.
"Hey, Travis," she begins, mimicking the way Travis stared. "I love you. Not in the way of it naturally just rolling off the tongue to make the other person feel okay. The way of those words forever. Being yours from me and no one else. I want you to know how much I really do love you without sounding too sappy so I'll -" a knock was heard from the door. Everyone stopped talking and stared at the door. Aphmau walked over after a moment of random speculation and opened it. The door was slammed at her and she ran back into the bathroom to call the police. It was

Him.
Panic erupted.
"QUIET!" Travis's father shot in the air to silence the room. He scanned the silent crowd and made eye contact with Travis.
"Would you look at that; the happy couple." He says, his voice so sinister it made Travis sick.
"Do you have anything to say?"

Travis just clenched his fist. As a child, he was too afraid and weak to face the man who destroyed his life. This time, he would do anything to protect Katelyn.
"Aww, my little boys growing up." He mocked.
Travis snapped.
"I'm not your boy you sick bastard."
He gasps. "He speaks!" He continues to joke about the terror he has caused. "You're ballsy kid, talking back to your father."
"You aren't my father. You never were. You're just some screwed up fuck that I should've shot when I had the chance."
"I wish you were aborted, you scum of the earth."
"Yeah well I know more than anyone wishes don't come true now, do they?"
"Be grateful I taught you that at a young age, prayers are a waste of valuable time."
"Thankful for you!?" Travis grabbed for the man and he pointed the loaded gun at Travis.
"Watch it, boy; I'm the one with the gun, here."
Travis was a second away from taking a bullet and strangling him.
"Lets turn the attention to the lovely bride over here."
"Touch me, you're dead." Katelyn responds, no hesitation.
"Oooo. You picked a violent one."
"You hurt her you die." Travis threatens.
"Oh wow! Was that a threat? I don't take too kindly to misbehavior."
Travis lost it. "You son of a-" mid sentence, Katelyn jumped at Travis's father to tackle him to the floor. In a swift move, he shot katelyn in the stomach but she managed to push him to the floor violently, allowing Travis a second to think...
not again. i promised...
Travis, filled with worry, anger, sadness, and fear lifts the gun from the ground and points it towards him. He's practically shaking with all the power he has over the one thing he dreamed of since ten years ago when his mother died;
revenge.
"Listen here you selfish prick!" He kicked his father in the face and cocked the pistol and held it pointed at his father's head.
"You took everything from me. You took my mother, my childhood, my happiness, my FUCKING WIFE! AND YOU LEFT ME TO SUFFER! IM DONE LETTING YOU FUCK WITH ME AND THOSE I LOVE! I WONT LIVE IN FEAR OF SOME GAMBLING ABUSING PSYCHOTIC BITCH TAKING SOMEONE AWAY FROM ME! I HOPE YOU KNOW YOU WONT GET AWAY THIS TIME!" He breathed.
"Say hello to the devil for me you waste of air."
Travis shot him in the throat. His father slowly chocked on his own blood.
"I hope you burn."
His father died. He clenches his fist as he watches his childhood trauma shrivels up and dies.
He heard someone cough back a sob, holding back from crying. He paused. He knew who it was and he wasn't ready to turn and see her clearly in agony. But he turned anyways, and he saw it anyways.
All he loved, cared for, and all that would care about him was curled in a ball and dying in front of him;

Katelyn.
Travis immediately fell to the floor next to her.
"Katelyn, are you okay?!"
"T-Travis?"
"Yes?"
"No. I was just shot in the fucking stomach; I probably won't live."
He ignores the sarcasm. "Hey, can I do anything to help you?"
"Just kiss me... please." She says, holding back an agonized scream. Her breath shudders.
He does what she asked. He kisses her lips softly then holds her closer. Looking back down at her, he sees her closed eyes. Travis, holding his lover in his arms, began to uncontrollably sob, feeling the same pain as he was feeling the years ago when he held his mother as she died. Through the tears, he kisses her softly on the forehead and holds her tighter to his chest. His voice, soaked in misery, screamed out.
"WHY?! WHY HER!?! WHY NOW!?!" He breathes and stops screaming,knowing it'll only work up the others. He continues to sob. Katelyn was wearing a now dark red shirt. Suddenly the doors burst open and everyone gets out while the ambulance pulls out a stretcher for the one person injured; Katelyn. They pulled her into the back of the ambulance and when Travis followed to rush in, he was stopped.
"What're you doing?" An officer asked sternly.
"I need to get in there!"
"What business is it with you?"
"She's... She's my wife."

He sits in the back of the car silent and emotionless. A blank face.
He sits in the emergency room waiting room silently, keeping his sadness back and any other feelings tucked away.

"Hey, it's you. Are you okay?"
It was the woman behind the counter who had flirted with him months back at the hospital when he was blacked out for three days. He just stared at the floor. No response.
The woman realized they brought in a girl and pieced together it was his wife. She didn't bother Travis anymore.
Travis could only think of one thing.
Beyond the thoughts of lost hope and there being no chance she'd survive, there was only one thing there.

Its all my fault again.
What am i worth if all I do is get those I love killed?

Heartbreak. Absolute and only. That's the only word he knew now.