The Life I Never Knew I Had Chapter 24

“What do we do?” Ryan asked. My parents and my two brothers were around our kitchen table.

Lance called to warn us that Elliott and Damien’s henchmen are heading to Maryland to look for us.

I was sitting on the sofa with my head in my hands. My thumb played with my ring as I thought about everything.

“You two should lay low, med school, work and home. Nothing more. If things get worst then you two need to make a run for it,” my dad said.

“I think that’s the best thing for now. Lance is staying with my dad for any new news”.

“Okay,” my mom said. “I think you two need to get some rest. Be safe driving home”.

Ryan walked over to me and gently touched my shoulder. “Come on honey,” he whispered.

I took a deep breath and quickly stood up. I waved to my family and hurried out the door.

Ryan followed me out the door and into the car.

The drive home was quiet and the tension wasn’t helping.

We reach our apartment safely and I headed to the bathroom.

I took a shower and changed into my pajamas.

“Jenny,” Ryan said as I walked out of the bathroom. “Everything is going to be okay,”

“Is it? Will it? We don’t know that, Ryan. This whole thing was a mistake! I shouldn’t have agreed to run away with you. This isn’t right,”

“What isn’t? Love, the love we have for each other. What’s so wrong about that?”

“What’s right about it?” I asked as tears ran down my face.

Ryan took my hands and pulled me over to him. He slowly wiped my tears away and smiled at me. “You love me right?”

I nodded my head.

“And I love you. That’s all that matters. Sometimes, you have to fight for what is right and for what you want,”

I smiled and hugged him. “What would I do without you?”

“You’ll be with Elliott, pretending that you love him and destroying your homeland”.

“Well, thank God you’re here,” I said hugging him.  

******

The next morning Ryan dropped me off at school and before he headed to work.

I was supposed to be shadowing Doctor Drew today so I didn’t actually have school.

I meet Doctor Drew outside his office.

“Nice to see you again, Jennifer. You’ll be the head doctor today. I just made my rounds and did some paper work so, what do you want to do next?” he asked.

“Check on the patients who need the most attention,” I said taking his clip broad.

We made our way around to his patients.

The day was pretty slow, nothing major happened. At two o’clock Doctor Drew had to operate on Mrs. Green’s lung. He wanted me to be there to help with the operation.

Around six we had to help a little girl with her broke leg and help another woman deliver her baby.

I said goodbye to Doctor Drew at eight and Ryan took us home.

He opened the front door and walked in after me.

“So, what’s for dinner?” Ryan asked as he followed me into our bedroom.