Chapter 16

Holly Leaves carried a fat squirrel in her jaws back to cavern-camp, Ginger River followed her with two mice. Autumn Leaves was waiting for her.

"What do you want, Autumn Leaves?" Holly Leaves asked.

"I'm going to find Mousewhisker and apologise," Autumn Leaves replied.

"Why? If anything he should be apologising to you. Toms are mouse-brains, always full of themselves."

"I want to make up with Mousewhisker before our kits are born."

"Why are you telling me?"

"Come with me to find him."

"But... but..." Holly Leaves saw something in Autumn Leaves' eyes. "Fine."

"Thank you."

. . .

The two sister headed out into the forest, following what was left of Mousewhisker's stale scent, it seemed to be heading for the ThunderClan camp but then turned to the tunnels again... and it seemed to be getting fresher. Then that came back to the tunnel entrance, Mousewhisker was waiting there!

"Mousewhisker!" Autumn Leaves called out, running towards her mate.

"Autumn Leaves!" Mousewhisker was delighted to see Autumn Leaves again.

When the black-and-ginger patched she-cat was up to the grey-and-white tom, she nosed him.

"I'm sorry," she whispered.

"For what?" Mousewhisker asked.

"For yelling at you, stupid furball."

"Well, I'm sorry for yelling at you."

"Are we still mates?"

"We always were, even if we have to live in different Clans. But can you get the kits to visit me?"

Holly Leaves held her breath to what Autumn Leaves was about to say. If she said yes, the kits wouldn't feel true loyalty to TunnelClan and might leave for ThunderClan. If she said no, she and Mousewhisker could get into another agreement.

"No, I'm sorry, Mousewhisker," Autumn Leaves meowed. "I'll tell them about you when they're ready."

Mousewhisker was about to snap a retort but then nodded. "Okay, I see that," he agreed. "But visit me and tell me about them all the time. Okay?"

"Of course!"

"I love you."

"I love you too, Mousewhisker."