Chapter 10

Autumn Leaves padded out of the dark tunnel and into the forest, she sat down. Mousewhisker would be here soon, hopefully. Suddenly she heard a patrol coming!

"Come on! I can smell the intruder, she's close," a ThunderClan tom growled. "We need to teach her to stay out of our territory!"

"But I already told you!" Autumn Leaves heard Mousewhisker's voice. "I asked her why she was here, she said she was lost. So I showed her to the border."

"Liar! She's been here every night for the past three moons, Mousewhisker, how do you explain that?"

Autumn Leaves held her breath, what was about to happen?

"I don't know why she'd been coming back," Mousewhisker admittedly lied.

"Well, just to be sure, we'll follow her scent," the tom meowed.

Autumn Leaves panicked and went into the tunnel entrance. The entrance to the tunnel was hidden very well, maybe they would be able to follow her scent in.

"Strange," the tom growled. "Her scent ends here and seems to disappear."

"We'll just tell Bramblestar that she left," Mousewhisker mewed, beginning to shuffle away.

"We'll tell him that her scent is here but she's gone."

"You both go ahead, I'll catch up. I need to... make dirt."

"Fine, but be back at camp by the time we're back."

After the patrol left, Autumn Leaves came out of the tunnels.

"What were you doing here?" Mousewhisker demanded. "I told you that I was on a patrol!"

"I wanted to see you again," Autumn Leaves replied coolly. "I love you."

"I know you love me but you can't pop and anywhere at any time. Tonight, we'll meet here, okay?"

"Okay."

"See you later, Autumn Leaves."

Autumn Leaves dipped her head before going back into the tunnel.

. . .

Autumn Leaves woke up and looked around, no cat was awake. She got out of her nest and padded out towards the forest tunnel. She made sure all that she could smell was the damp tunnel before she padded into the forest. The black-and-ginger patched she-cat sat down, looking for the grey-and-white fur of Mousewhisker. When she saw his green eyes, Autumn Leaves felt better.

"You came," Autumn Leaves dipped her head.

"Of course, I love you," Mousewhisker replied.

"And I do, too," the black-and-ginger patched she-cat leaned closer and whispered: "I want to have your kits."

"Are you sure? What would your father say?"

"My father wouldn't find out. He's mouse-brained enough to think Ginger River is the father."

"Isn't Ginger River your medicine cat?"

"Since he has a full trained apprentice, he can have kits."

"Strange."

"It might be strange you surface Clan cats, but it's our custom."

Mousewhisker took a deep breath. "I love you, you love me," he began. "But are you really ready to take a big step like that?"