Chapter 15

Shadow Leaves picked up some borage leaves from the pile and carried them over to Heart Willow so she'd have enough milk to feed Cloudy Storm.

"Cloudy Storm is very heathy," Shadow Leaves commented.

"I know," Heart Willow replied.

"Of course I'm heathy!" Cloudy Storm yelled. "And I'm strong too, look! I can pick up this stick!"

Cloudy Storm picked up the small twig in his tiny jaws.

"You'll be a great sharpclaw," Shadow Leaves mewed.

"I know!" Cloudy Storm growled. "Of course I'll be, I'm not stupid!"

"I never said you were stupid. I was just complementing you."

"I don't need complements when I'm the best!"

"Cloudy Storm, don't talk to Shadow Leaves like that," Heart Willow scolded. "He's the medicine cat and next in line to become leader."

"So, I can't be leader?"

"No."

"Why?!?"

"Because you are becoming a sharpclaw."

"Then I'll become a medicine cat, then I'll become leader!"

"It doesn't work like that, Cloudy Storm. You don't have the heart to be medicine cat."

"How do you know?"

"I'm your mother, mothers always know best."

Shadow Leaves pawed at the borage leaves. "You need to eat the borage, Heart Willow," he cut in. "You need lots of milk for Cloudy Storm to grow big and strong."

"Sure, Shadow Leaves," Heart Willow gulped down the borage. "It tastes bitter but I just want my kit to grow big and strong."

Shadow Leaves dipped his head before walking back to the piles of herbs. He wished that Cloudy Storm would become a medicine cat, then the black-patched tom could quit being a medicine cat as soon as Cloudy Storm was done training. Then Evening Drop could come back. Shadow Leaves' heart soared at the thought of the pale brown-patched she-cat coming through the WindClan tunnel to him.

But she can't... Shadow Leaves thought.

. . .

Evening Drop padded into WindClan's territory, when she had left TunnelClan – she didn't go straight back to WindClan. Instead she lived in the Twoleg barn for a while but now she thought was the right time to come back to WindClan.

"Hey!" Evening Drop recognised her father's voice. "Evening... Drop?"

"Hello, Pigeonwing," Evening Drop replied.

"Why are you here? Fallen Path had said you'd come back to WindClan but you didn't."

"I went to the Twoleg barn for a while. I've decided that the open moor is my home and I never should have left." Saying those words made her heart shatter but she hid her sorrow.

"I'll take you to Onestar but it's his final decision, if he declines. Go back to TunnelClan."

Once they were back in WindClan camp, Onestar came forward.

"Where have you been, Eveningpaw?" he demanded. "Tunnelrunner and Hollyfeather are warriors now, you would've been one if you hadn't of run away those moons ago."

"I ran away," Evening Drop admitted. "I didn't feel at home, I gave myself the new name of Evening Drop. After all those moons, I've finally realised that the open moor of WindClan is my home." She bowed her head. "If you allow me too, I'll remain loyal to WindClan."

"Evening... Drop, I have seen this before in Crowfeather. I forgave him and I am willing to forgive you too, you will be a warrior but you are to do the elders' bedding for a moon."

"Yes, Onestar. I promise to do that."

"Eveningpaw, you are now Eveningdrop!"