sixteen.

december 28

"yep, i'm sorry, yoongi," taehyung grinned, not sounding apologetic at all as he took a step forward, latching onto jimin's arm. "it's time to spend time with my other half." he said, before dragging jimin away towards the end of the hall, where the elevator was. jimin just gave in, letting taehyung drag him whilst giving yoongi a small shrug and a smile that read 'sorry.'

yoongi watched as the elevator doors closed, the last thing he saw being taehyung waving at him and jimin with a sheepish smile across his lips.

— — —

after an hour or two, mrs. park decides to leave yejin with their eldest, jinyoung. mrs. park requested that yoongi should tag along, to which the latter agreed to. and now, here they were, jinyoung and yoongi, sitting on the edge of the kiddie pool, watching as yejin swam around with a smile.

"mark's a good boyfriend, though," jinyoung remarked. "he just couldn't join us this year, since he's in california with his family. he won't be coming back until next year."

"long distance or something?"

"um, yeah." jinyoung replied, letting out a small sigh. "he left two years ago."

"well," yoongi smiled, "i'm glad you guys are still together. long distance relationships seem very hard."

"it's not hard if we love each other. he skypes me everyday." jinyoung said, in an almost dreamy tone.

"how'd you two meet?"

"at dad's cafe. i was reading a book and, well, he just approached me and started... flirting, i think? i seriously thought he was such a dork. honestly, he is."

yoongi merely chuckled, finding their relationship cute, as his gaze moves towards the kiddie pool, scanning the area for yejin. after a few seconds, a frown made its way up to his face, his heart racing as the milliseconds went by.

"jinyoung," yoongi slowly turned to him, "yejin's gone."

jinyoung's eyes widened as his head snapped towards the kiddie pool, standing up on his feet to get a more clear view of the area. "what the... where--"

yoongi stood up as well, turning around and trying to search for yejin in the bigger pool, the chairs and tables near the pool, by the lobby entrance. there weren't much people today, and it was clear that yejin was nowhere to be found in sight.

"oh god," yoongi ran his fingers through his hair, "not again. not fucking again."

jinyoung turned to yoongi with a frantic look. "again?"

"you see... we lost her at the mall, which is why we brought some ice cream, she wanted some and she wouldn't stop crying and--"

jinyoung let out a groan, eyes still scanning the place, before he grabbed yoongi's arm, dragging him towards the lobby entrance. "maybe she went inside, she couldn't have gone that far, right? she was just there, one second ago, and--"

right when they stepped into the lobby, hoping to search for yejin, they both gulped when the were greeted with the sight of mrs. park, who was about to step out and sunbathe on one of the pool chairs.

"boys," mrs. park frowned, "where's yejin?"

"oh! about yejin, yes," jinyoung bit his bottom lip, anxious. "she's in the... bathroom."

"oh, yah. bathroom." yoongi nodded. "needed to pee from all the... swimming. we told her not to pee in the pool." he laughed awkwardly.

mrs. park raised a brow at them. "and... you didn't accompany her?"

jinyoung quickly exclaimed, "ladies!"

mrs. park turned to him with an odd look. "ladies...?"

"ladies," yoongi agreed, "were... were hitting us-- oh, god, punching us." he smiled stiffly, "they wouldn't let us in."

mrs. park nodded, "uh-huh." she looked between the two of them, "and where are you two going? aren't you supposed to be waiting for her?"

"there's a line and. uh. she just-- we told her to wait. yeah." jinyoung nodded.

"we're just going upstairs to quickly get our towels."

"and sunscreen."

"yeah."

mrs. park hummed, eyes narrowed at both of them, before letting out a small gasp. "oh, that reminds me, i left my sunscreen behind!" she turned on her heel, walking back towards the elevator without another word.

jinyoung and yoongi looked at each other in relief. "okay," yoongi began, "where could she be?"

jinyoung frowned, looking around. "what did you say about last time? when she got lost at the mall. what did she want to get?"

"ice cream. wha..."

they both looked at each other with expressions that read, "do you know what i'm thinking?" and without exchanging any words, both of the boys sprinted out of the lobby and into the outside, their steps frantic in running towards the snack bar.

the snack bar.

upon arriving at the snack bar, both boys' faces were washed with relief to see a little girl on one of the stool chairs, focused on eating a bowl of ice cream. behind the bar was an employee smiling at the sight, and soon after, the said employee became aware of jinyoung and yoongi's presence when he tore his gaze away from the little girl.

"oh, hi. are you...?" the employee greeted, pointing at the little girl.

yejin turned around, a small grin on her face as she spotted jinyoung and yoongi. she let out a yawn, waving at the two. "hello, oppa." she greeted, voice almost a whisper as she blinked.

the employee laughed, "she's quite sleepy. i think you guys should take her so she can, uh, sleep."

yoongi smiled, lifting yejin from the stool, letting her rest her head on his shoulder. jinyoung stepped forward, gesturing towards the half empty bowl of ice cream. "how much do i pay for that?" he asked the employee, who merely shook his head.

"no, no. it's on the house."

jinyoung let out a sheepish smile. "wow. um. thank you..." he glanced at the employee's name tag. "...jackson."

the employee, jackson, smiled. "no big deal."

— — —

mrs. park opened the room door, a hint of surprise in her face when she saw yoongi and jinyoung standing outside in the hallway, with her daughter in yoongi's arms, seemingly fast asleep.

"oh, boys," mrs. park greeted, "you brought yejin back already?"

"yeah," jinyoung nodded. "she's asleep."

"oh, well, thank you for letting her play in the kiddie pool, then," mrs. park smiled, "i'll be going downstairs now. just leave yejin with dad." she said, walking past the two boys, making her way towards the elevator.

yoongi entered the room, spotting mr. park on the bed, reading a pamphlet. mr. park lifted his eyes to see yoongi with yejin and quickly sat up, gesturing for yoongi to hand yejin over, to which the boy did.

"ah," mr. park said, holding the sleeping yejin in his arms. "this kid. always sleeps so much."

"reminds me of yoongi," jinyoung remarked.

yoongi, rolling his eyes, waved goodbye to mr. park, before walking over to the door. the two boys quietly closed the room door, before walking out into the hallway and letting out some relieved sighs.

"never doing that again." jinyoung said.

"agreed."