Chapter I : Our hero, Kyle

yay! the chapter was edited...thanks to my  awesome editor

__________________________________________________________________________-

“Kyle! Come down here for a moment. Your uncle is here.”

“Yeah, uh, coming Mom. Just a second.” I throw my ball in the basket with my used shorts and jeans. I pulled my cap out of my spiky hair and rush downstairs.

“Where are you going Kyle?!” shouted my mom while I passed by, ignoring my uncle and mom.

“I’m just going out with Johnny! Don’t worry.”

I open the door and see Johnny waiting outside; kicking the soccer ball up and down. He kicked the ball with full force making the ball fly in the sky 3 feet where he stood. He stares at the ball going up and up, and going down.....

“Hey John, what are you looking at?” I ask, and slowly I look up above as well. I see the ball coming down at his exact position. But I move a little and I see something else. A shadow; a small shadow. And it stops just under the ball which was coming down.

“Kyle!” John pushes me to avoid the falling ball. My butt hits the cement and makes a loud, banging sound. The ball hit’s the ground the next second, bouncing up and down.

John held his hand out to help me get up. I smile a little and accepted the help. I hold John’s hand and slowly stand.

“Thanks”

My mom looks outside the door and worriedly asks if everything’s alright. She always got worried if I met some stranger , she talks a lot about my body size that I' m too skinny to be a boy and that I'm clumsy.

“No problem.” says John, smiling.

“Yes, Mrs.Opar, we’re okay”

Mrs. Opar, my mom, goes inside, closing the door and leaving John and I alone.

“You okay, bro?” asked John, patting my shoulder.

“Yeah, I think so. But I think I saw something below the ball while it was falling.” I pick up the soccer ball and look at it, but found nothing but black and white designs of the ball.

“What something?”

“It’s nothing; just a butterfly maybe, or a small bee flew off below the ball”

“Oh come on man, stop day-dreaming!”

John moves his head from side to side and gives me a disappointed look.

“I am not, John” He takes the ball from my hands and puts it under his arm.

“Yeah, yeah. Well you see, my brother and I have a bet about our competition today on Red Owls; and he bet that we’ll lose. He’s a damn, freaking brother! And if we win, he, yes he! He will make me pay 5 times my allowance in a week of make me his 15 day servant!” he held my arms tightly and continued “So, I want you to make that first goal and lots more after that. You’re my only hope. Please, or my life will be taken by a nobody.”

“Whoa! Wait a minute. Am I the only player here? No! So don’t put these responsibilities on me.”

I force John’s hands to let go of my arms. “Listen Kyle, you’re our star player. Doesn’t that explain everything?” John knelt down in front of me. Begging me to help and do what he wanted. Repeating him and explaining to me why I should help him.

“OK. I‘ll do it. But remember, this is not for you but for our team and captain.”

John jumped up with joy. Up, up higher and higher, bouncing with a clown’s smile on his face.

“Oh come on. Let’s go”

I led the way to the Blue Court. It was plain cement; two bleachers are there, side by side, an ordinary goal net. The court is surrounded by trees with orange leaves. It’s autumn! A perfect season for playing soccer. My team is the ‘orange cheetahs’.

Our Captain, Mr. Perez names it after me. They thought I’m a fast runner; they said I can run 1 km in just 15 seconds. My team mates and our captain always wanted to know why I joined the soccer team while I can be a star on the track and field team.

“Team! Let’s make them eat ashes!”

The referee whistles!!

The ball is first given to Jeremy, one of my team-mates. He plays with the ball, and then he starts the move and passes it in Pele. Pele does neat back heel and pass it to Tostao. Pele went forward to the guard and he then turned into guarding him to be sure Tostao passes it to Jeremy. Jeremy avoided and passed the two opponents to catch up to the fast rolling ball. Tostao passes the ball to Jeremy, and then a guard tried to steal the ball from Jeremy. The court was full of shouts, loud noises occupied the place. Jeremy tried to pass the guard, he approaches the guard fast but, boom! The guard is too much for his body, he fell down to the ground. But don’t worry, he manages to kick the ball to me. The ball keeps rolling, keep rolling. Mastosas, a player on the other team, tries to steal the ball but I outrun him and start to dribble it.

I hammer home! Another opponent comes out. Still have faith that he could steal the ball from the boy who has golden feet. Large muscles failed to catch the ball from me.

And goal!!

The whole crowd screams, applause filled the Blue Court. Kyle gives a bro-hug to Johnny.

“The score is 2-0 guys. Keep the play. Go go go go go. Kick them up!”

Our captain’s words trying to encourage us and they do! The whole team was fired up. There appears a cheer leader with their team. The crowd’s support makes the court more interesting and powerful.

The referee’s whistle blows.

The ball is given to me and I pass it to my other team mates. A zigzag style would be the best description on what technique they have done. It worked! Not less than a minute, and I do a straight three goal shots. Leaving our opponent in the dust.

“Yeah!” Mr. Perez, as happy as ever, shouts like a crazy old geezer.

A whistle is heard, a sign of the end of the competition. The team gathered on their side. All of them were stupidly happy, jumping out of joy, screaming out loud like they have seen a ghost somewhere there in the court. Johnny pulls me and lifts my body as high as he can.

“Whoa!” I exclaimed in the air.

I then feel hands and fingers on my back pushing me higher and higher up to the bright blue sky.

“Hooray for Kyle!” up and down I bounce in the air. But the happiest person who you could see is John. He is crying out of happiness, I think. They put me down, and I see John crying and laughing horribly.

“Are you crazy, John?”

“No dude, I’m just happy. You don’t know how you’ve helped me change my life” He hugs me so tightly that I can hardly breathe.

“Yeah. Stop with the drama. Oh! I need to get going now. My Uncle is already there. I just came here to play”

I tap John’s shoulder and give a wave to my coach and team mates.

“Let me know if we have another game. I’ll be going now”

I run back to our house, leaving my team mates and coach having their own freaking odd party.