Chapter 28

My eyes fluttered open and I had to use a lot of strength, considering they were both swollen. The floor felt much more comfy than the cement ground and I had a distinct feeling that they moved me after the fire.

          Wait, fire? Am I still alive?

          I sat up the best I could, but I only moved an inch before groaning in pain. I fell back down and breathed deeply to calm myself down and stop myself from crying. I looked up at the white ceiling and sighed, before registering the object glued to my calf. In fact, my calves were on something harder than the soft cushion.

          Turning my head gently, I almost cried when I saw Beck’s face. Someone I had gotten home after I passed out and Beck was staying by my side the whole time. “Beck.” I croaked, watching his head snap up from its position of leaning back on the couch pillow.

          “Hey,” he whispered, rubbing his neck. He rubbed my calf with his hand and sighed, looking down at what must be a nasty bruise.

          “Where are we?” I asked. I turned slightly but ended up in the same position when my stomach screamed with pain.

          “Home.” He responded, before turning his head to the side and screaming for Jackson.  I winced and laid my head back down, my throat suddenly dry. “Can I have some water?”

          “Yeah hold on.” He said as he yelled for Jackson again.

          Jackson came running in, a tried, worn out expression on his face. I smiled, but barley because I couldn’t help still being mad at him for what he did. “Hey, sweetie. How are you feeling?”

          He rubbed his hand over my forehead, brushing my hair from my face and kissing it. I swallowed and my throat burned, causing me to wince. Beck stood up slowly placing my legs back on the couch and moving to the kitchen.

          Jackson sat down in a chair beside me and I smiled at him, whispering softly. “You didn’t have to save me. Are you okay?”

          He sighed and grabbed my hand, positioning his head towards the ground. I noticed a healing scratch by his neck, but didn’t say anything in case he got upset.

          “I couldn’t get to you, Rain.” He mumbled, rubbing his face with his other hand and breathing deeply. I tried to speak, ask him question after question, but he cut me off. “Blake did.”

          My heart didn’t skip a beat like I expected, in fact, it just sped up. My stomach fluttered and an overwhelming feeling of happiness consumed my body. My mate saved me.

          “Why?”

          Jackson laughed and shook his head, holding my non-broken hand tighter. “Who cares? My baby sister is alive and right next to me, healing slowly. I couldn’t care less why he did what he did. As long as you’re safe.”

          “So you didn’t get to me?”

          He suddenly looked guilty, like he might cry. “I’m sorry. I really tried, Rain, I did. I cried for hours after the place crumbled, I could barely breathe. I know I promised you I would always protect you and I’m so sorry I wasn’t the one who got to you. I’ll-“

          “But you lied.” I interjected, narrowing my eyes and taking my hand from his. Beck walked in with a glass of water, watching us like a tennis ball in a tennis game. “You said you killed him.”

          “I know. I’m sorry, Rain. But he’s my dad, too, I couldn’t kill him.”

          “I get that, Jackson, I really do. But to lie about it? You know I would have understood.”