Chapter 25

I looked over at Chloe, who reacted quicker than me and shot up from the bed, grabbing a lamp from the bedside table. As we heard unfamiliar male voices, she slithered behind the door and instructed me to hide behind the bed.

          As fast as I could I jumped behind the bed and lay across the ground, looking underneath the bed for someone I might recognize. Black boots came into view and then I heard the door swing forward, Chloe springing forward with the lamp and bashing somebody on the head with it.

          I heard her hit the floor before I saw it and I immediately jumped up, running to her and sitting her up. I tried my hardest not to look at the mysterious man standing above us with the lamp, but I rather him take out me instead of Chloe.

          “There you are.”

          I looked up and Chloe leaped at him, clawing his face and screaming at him to get out. I honestly thought Chloe fought better than this, considering all the training Jackson put her through, but if I were her, the only thing on my mind would be my baby.

          “Quit it!” he growled, flinging her across the floor. Another man appeared and grabbed Chloe, picking her up and shoving her face down in the bed. I crept backwards towards the corner, having absolutely no idea what to do, but hopefully Chloe already mind-linked Jackson.

          Just in case, I quickly mind-linked him. ‘Jackson, help. We’re at the Lake View Inn.’

          I left it at that, hoping he would panic and be here in seconds. Why did we have to pick a place so far from Jackson?

          “Shut up!” someone screamed.

          I looked up at the guy who just screamed at Chloe and watched him pull out a syringe, instantly injecting it into her back. I panicked and lunged forward, a black boot kicking me back onto the floor. I moved back to my corner and watched Chloe’s body go limb, feeling a weight drop in my gut. What did they do to her?

          The first guy that came in here kneeled down in front of me and smiled, removing his glasses. I almost cried when I realized it was the guy following me at the mall. I should have known. I should have told Jackson.

          “Hello, Rain.” He greeted. “I see you remember me.”

          I shook like crazy, feeling a full-blown panic attack coming on and sobbed like a baby. “L-leave me a-a-alone.”

          He frowned in concern and tilted his head, staring down at me like I was his daughter. “I’m sorry. We won’t hurt you.”

          I shook my head and moved even closer to the wall, “You-you hurt Chloe.”

          “We just sedated her. Think of it like she’s sleeping.”

          “Please don’t hurt her.” I begged, wiping away my tears and wrapping my arms around my legs. Why wasn’t he sedating me like he sedated Chloe?

          “We won’t. I promise.” He smiled warmly and stuck out his hand, causing me to flinch and squeeze my eyes closed. I kept them closed until I heard him sigh and stand up, telling the guy to bring Chloe out to the van.

          I opened my eyes and watched the guy carry Chloe out to the van, wishing it was me instead of her. She doesn’t deserve this, whatever this is.

          “What do you want?” I croaked as he turned back to me, shoving his hands in his pockets. Another guy appeared in the doorway and watched me carefully, sending goose bumps up my arms. I rather die than be here right now.