I did as told and she turned around to check it again and nodded.  “Perfect.”

I moved it to the table just as Kyle and some other guy about his age moved some plates full of waffles to the table.

A few minutes later, about half the people in the house were downstairs at the table, including Jessica, Mrs. Wolf, and a man in between the two of them that I hadn’t met yet.

“So Elaine, is your foot feeling alright,” Mrs. Wolf asked, concern filling her voice.

“Yes.  But I might want some more pain pills soon.  I can’t really walk on it.”

She nodded.  “Right.  Kyle, weren’t you going to get her some crutches?”

I looked at him.  Normally I would have thought that crutches would be a bit too much, but I didn’t want to have to walk on this foot.  He set down his fork and ran upstairs, returning after a few seconds with a pair of them in his hands.  He set them down so they were leaning on the table right next to me before going back to his food.

I started buttering the waffles on my plate and reaches for the syrup I had made.  I poured it on and took a bite.  “How could I ever have liked Mrs. Butterworths?  This is fantastic!”

I ate those waffles and then tried the berry syrup, which was also delicious.  I ate those, and unfortunately was too full to eat anymore.  I looked at my watch.  “It’s 10:00 already?  Kyle when did I wake up?”

“Uh, nine twenty.”

“Well when can we leave?”

Mrs. Wolf looked confused.  “You’re leaving?”

“Yeah, Mom.  We made a deal, and I’m taking her home in a few minutes.  But there are rules, like she has to stay at her friend’s house.”

I looked across the table and saw that Jessica looked really sad.  “Hey, Jessica, What’s wrong?”

She got up from her seat and ran around the table to me.  She hugged me and yelled, “please don’t leave, Lainey!  Please!”

Her eyes started to fill with tears.  I hugged her back.  “I’m sorry, Jessica.  I’ll really miss you.”

“Are you going to come back?”

I frowned.  “I don’t think so.”

I looked around the table and saw the man next to Mrs. Wolf set down his fork.  “Are you sure about this, son?  I mean, we are talking about vamps.”

Kyle sighed.  “Yeah, Dad, I’m sure.  I promised.  By the way, Elaine, this is my father.”

I smiled.  “Nice to meet you, sir.”

Okay, I know I might be a little crazy being so nice to the people who kidnapped me, but I was just happy I was getting out of here.

“Kyle, you ready?”

He shook his head.  “Give me ten minutes.  You can say your goodbyes.”  He walked out of the room, leaving me with everyone else.  I stood up to clear my dishes when Mrs. Wolf stopped me.

“No no, Elaine, let me.  You go play with Jessica.”

The little girl looked at me with pleading eyes.  “I’m not sure I’ll really be much fun with my bad foot.  Besides, my head’s starting to hurt, and I could use another few ibuprofens.”

I looked to Mrs. Wolf who walked to a cupboard and pulled out a small white basket.  She tossed me a bottle and I almost didn’t catch it.  I opened the cap and took two, washing them down with my orange juice.