Chapter 2

Chapter 2

"He's in the city!" Nat announced loudly as she ran into their bedroom.

Andromeda glanced up from her book and Larissa turned her head quickly. But Reanna, her hair currently bundled up in Larissa's hands could only move her eyes to look at Nat as she approached through her looking glass.

"He's earlier than expected," Andromeda smiled at Reanna. "Are you nervous?"

"A little," Reanna admitted with a smile. "I do hope it all works well."

"It better. Do you know how many late nights I put in to finish your dress?" Larissa grinned at her.

Reanna smiled back through the looking glass. She had to admit, Larissa had done a wonderful job on this gown. It looked regal and confident with long flowing sleeves and an open 'V' shaped neckline that plunged almost too low for Reana's comfort. The thick hems were decorated with swirling silver embroidery that gave the impression of waves. The pale, silken blue color highlighted Reanna's already bright coloring and made her eyes look like storm clouds. The airy fabric was heavier than it had any right to be, but still managed to appear completely weightless.

Her sisters had dressed up as well, but Reanna was the bride on display. She needed to look better than all of them. Which was why Larissa herself looked like she had come from temple service with her plain brown frock and tightly bound hair. Still, she managed to look breathtaking. She was planning on standing behind others to mitigate the effect.

"How long before he gets here?" Larissa asked, the pins between her lips bouncing.

She was still focused mostly on setting Reanna's hair into a waterfall of freshly set curls that began on her head and traveled all the way down her back. The jeweled comb that would be the centerpiece of the style was waiting on the vanity. The shimmering diamonds, pearls, and gleaming moonstones had been picked before the dress had been designed. Similarly styled bracelets hung at both wrists but the real eye catcher was the large moonstone hanging between her breasts.

"It shouldn't be long. The messenger that told me said he saw them enter the city earlier this morning and it's already past noon," Nat said, sitting down next to the vanity and smiling at her eldest sister. "You look absolutely beautiful, Rae."

"Thank you," Larissa grinned over her head making them laugh.

"Suppose he's ugly?" Andromeda asked thoughtfully, looking up from her book again.

"Don't curse her with that," Larissa frowned. "Or me. Do you know how hard it is to make an ugly person look good?"

"Well, you do all right with me." Nat beamed, chin in her hand.

"You're not ugly," Larissa frowned at her. "You're plain. There's a difference."

"Not to anyone I've yet met."

Andromeda cut Larissa's next denial off. She didn't want to start this argument again. "I mean it. Rae, if he's good king material and a pleasant enough person, but he's ugly, what will you do?"

"Put a sack over his head, I suppose," Reanna said with a grin making them laugh. "Of course I don't care what he looks like. If he's a good king and good man, then I will find him beautiful. Even if it takes a little while to get used to his appearance."

"Suppose he has a nose like Lord Barthlen?" Nat grinned.

"No!" Rae cried immediately as the others laughed.

"All the way out to here!" Andromeda demonstrated over her own nose.

"With that charming wart on the side?" Larissa laughed.