Chapter 1: Birthday Wishes

Chapter 1

Callie's POV...

"Happy 17th Birthday Callie!" yelled everyone who was standing in the kitchen as I came down the stairs. A big smile appeared on my face. "You guys didn't have to do this." My best friend, Davis Henry laughed, "of course we did Cal, today's a big day."

"Why?" I asked confused.

My mother walked in with a big cake with candles. "Make a wish sweetie," said my mother. Mate I thought before blowing the candles. "So why's today a big day?"

My older brother, Scott, chuckled, "today you'll find your mate and you'll shift for the first time."

My eyes widened, "oh right, I forgot about it." Suddenly my hands became sweaty and I became nervous. What if he rejects me? What if I don't find him? Is he in another pack? All the possibilities crammed into my head. What would I do?

"Cal? Callie?" asked Davis looking worried.

"Oh sorry, I spaced out," I said shaking my head, trying in vain to clear it but the doubts wouldn't go away.

He laughed, "We all noticed."

After a slice of cake Davis cleared his throat, "Cal we should get going."

I nodded, "thanks again for the cake!" I shouted at the door and hurried to catch up to Scott and Davis who were now halfway to my brother's car. The drive to school was silent but not uncomfortable. The radio was playing in the background and unconsciously I was singing along.

At school we found our usual parking space and got out of Scott's car. Scott walked ahead and joined his friends while Davis and I walked slowly to the entrance. I took a deep breath before heading in. "You ok, Cal?" asked Davis looking worried.

"What if he rejects me?" I blurted out and his eyes softened. "He would be an idiot for rejecting such a wonderful girl." I blushed and looked away as he chuckled.

"Come on Cal, let's get to class." We were suddenly stopped by the wannabes. They blocked our path, their height was an advantage as they towered over us at 6'1''.

"Get out of the way," growled Davis and they only laughed.

"I don't think so Davis," said their leader before he was pushed out of the way. Their leader, Sam, looked at me again before taking my books and dropping them on the ground.

"Wow, how orignal," I said as I started to pick them up. It was really embarrassing they only acted like that so they could join my brother's group, the group of the popular and sluts. I felt waves of anger radiating from someone behind me as I got up with my books.

I looked at Sam and his crew, they looked terrified and I smirked knowing my brother was behind me. "Are you messing with my sister?" asked my brother in his Beta voice and the guys instantly submitted. I chuckled as they looked at me begging for my help.

I sighed, "Scott, it's alright, they're just being stupid. Besides, now they know not to mess with me, don't you boys," I said smirking at them and they instantly nodded. After that little show I walked to class laughing. Davis had gone to his class on the other side of the building.

By lunch I hadn't seen my mate, not that I was complaining. "Who do you think my mate is?" I asked and Davis shrugged before taking a pen out. "Let's see, in all the school there's only about six unmated males. Since your father is the Beta that leaves you with two choices, Beta Daniel from the River Pack or our Alpha James. At least in our school those are your only two options but maybe he doesn't go here maybe he's looking for you."