Chapter 15- Dinner A La Mode

Niall's POV

My palms sweated more and more and my face heated up. Victoria rubbed up and down my forearm, smiling as her dad arose from his seat. I heard low growling and I turned to face one of the guys Victoria was friends with. I didn't really take a liking to them either, I get a bad vibe from all three.

"So you are the legendary mate of my daughter?" He smiled coldly. I gulped.

"Yes, sir." The corners of my lips curved up into a small smile.

"Come sit." He walked back to his chair. I sat right next to her dad, and next to Keaton. I heard a quiet scoffing. Victoria sat across from me, making small talk with some other guy, Dawn.

"So you're Niall?" I turned to Keaton, he had a stiff facial expression.

"Yeah, you're Keaton, right?"

"What's it to you?" He spat, harshly.

"What bit your arse this morning?" I mumbled.

"So sir, tell me what it's like running a pack." I tried making casual talk.

"I'm glad you asked, son. I can call you son, right? You are my future son in law, after all." He chuckled. "By the way, I never saw your engagement ring, Vic." He cut into his dinner.

"Actually, Niall hasn't proposed." Victoria said with her jaw clenched. Her father's eyes were still glued to his food.

"Aw that's a shame." He had a poker face. "Well Niall, to run a pack you need emotional and physical strength.

"It's not all about bronze, daddy. I actually prefer more brain. You need to have stamina and strategy."

"Yes, my dear, that too. But, most importantly, leadership. You must be able to set an example for not only your pack members, but members from other packs as well. And you must be able to deal with everyone in the pack."

"I'm sure with training, I'll be up to standards." After that, no one said anything, so I continued eating.

'Hey, cutie.' I looked at Vic, who was staring at her plate.

'Hey, babe.'

'Well this dinner is going well. I think. I don't know.' She laughed through the mindlink.

"At least put your mind blocks up if you're going to drool over each other." Keaton scoffed.

"Keaton!" Vic scolded. "Well I think I'm going to go help with dessert." She stood up and began walking towards the kitchen.

"Wait, I'll help!" Keaton jolted from his seat, falling in the process. I stifled a laugh, but part of me wanted to find out what he's up to.

Victoria's POV

"Mags!" Mag was my main cook throughout my entire childhood. She was my mother figure.

"Vicky! I haven't seen you in ages!" She wrapped around me in a bone crushing hug.

"You saw me like last month." I laughed. I heard someone come into the kitchen, thinking it was Niall.

"Hey, ba-" It was Keaton. "Oh hey, Keaton."

"N-need help?" He's never had a stuttering problem.

"Sure..." I cut the cake while he set the plates up.

"I'm glad you're back. The guys have been getting out of hand without you to keep them in order."

"I'm not surprised." I turned around and hit into a hard chest, smashing cake onto the top of my dress.

"Vic! I'm so sorry!" He led me to the counter, lifted me by my waist, and sat me on the counter. He dampened a washcloth and started to dab my dress.

"It's fine, it happens." I was actually disappointed, this was one of my favorite dresses. He tilted my chin up and began to wipe the frosting off of my neck. As he was cleaning, he stared directly into my eyes. He slowed down and started leaning in before smashing his lips to mine briefly.

'No! He's not our mate!' My wolf kept shouting at me.

I pushed him away. I hopped off the counter and ran past the dining room, where I saw a confused and hurt Niall.