Chapter 2 A week of fascination and fireworks

Start from the beginning

He bought us both chocolate vanilla swirl ice creams and we sat in the city park watching the kids play on the swings and slides. " Can I ask you a question Dwight that I've been wondering about since you showed up Sunday?" He turned to me answering " Sure, but you may not get the answer you expect." I raise an eye brow as he chuckled continuing " How is it the management company I employed by booked your suite?" He thought for a moment looking into my eyes saying " They manage some of my businesses for me, why do you ask Kandi?" I shrugged shyly saying " Curious, I've never met the owner of the ranch or ever spoken to them is all." He smiled saying " I'm sure they are pleased with your work from what I've seen they made the right decision hiring you, you have a way with people Kandi."

I blushed at the compliment and he brushed his finger down my cheek asking "Now can I ask you a question?" I blushed nodding shyly saying " You may, may not get the answer you want either." His laughter was nice, soft, deep and real sexy which I never noticed before now when he asked " I do understand your high standards of no business mixed with pleasure, but what if you met a man who swept you off your feet, was mister right?" I sighed shaking my head no replying " Never happen, I cant allow it to Dwight, my career is stable, dependable and I will not having anything jeopardize that for me." He  was still looking into my eyes then softly said " Commendable Kandi, but I think you should  allow happiness in your personal life if it won't threaten you career." I sighed " Maybe one day, who knows right, Dwight let me be honest with you because I see where this line of questioning is going." He tilted his head as I chuckled            " Your about as subtle as a tornado, I don't know you, you don't know me, I can't allow us to be anything other than what we have now okay, please understand it's not personal, I just can't ."

Dwight leaned in to me a breathe away softly saying " Can't or won't  Kandi, I admit you intrigue me, you know I'm going to be around all summer, so I now see a challenge." I stood up sighing and shaking my head no stating " I'm sorry to disappoint you then sir because I'm not up for the chase, thank you for today but I see it's time we part ways." I turned walking away from him when I heard him sigh to himself " Impossible situations, impossible women, the story of my life." I got to the fireworks stand, ordered everything needed to be delivered then I  caught a ride back to the ranch with one of the guest I met up with at the stand.  I surprised Alec and Carrie when I walked back in the lodge doors at three firmly stating " Alec I'm taking the night off, you and Hank deal with whatever comes up." He looked stunned at me while Carrie just shrugged to him, I turned and went to my suite, changed into jeans, heavy western shirt, then put on my duster and Stetson.  Alec was still at the desk as I said over my shoulder walking out " I'm going for a ride, I'll be at the line shack so see you both tomorrow."

Alec looked at my back saying " Okay boss but if you need anything here.. catch." I turned when he tossed one of the radios to me and I smiled then turned walking out the doors. I heard Carrie say " Wow, something happened today, she never has taken a night off, Alec wtf?"  I got to the stables saddled up Thunder, tied a bedroll to it, put my rifle in the scabbard then softly said to her " Come on girl time to spend it alone just us, for the night, you seem to be the only one who doesn't want something from me." Thunder nuzzled me making me smile as I rubbed her nose, mounted up and galloped at a dead run out the corrals ,  just as Dwight's truck was pulling in Thunder jumped over the gate railings, heading toward the lake. I headed north to the lake slowing her down as she rabbit hopped when I reined her back, she hasn't been set loose like that for a long time. I leaned over her neck patting her as she nickered walking up to the lake then drinking from it. I'm sure she feels my confusion, pain,sorrow as the emotions run through me while I thought about my life, Dwight, everything so I sat there until the sun set then turned her north heading for the line shack.