Chapter 2 A week of fascination and fireworks

The next morning,  I dress in casual clothing as most of the guests want to go into town, then went down to see Carrie already at the desk with her breakfast making me smile at her. We both said morning to each other, I placed my Swede leather coat and Stetson on the hook then told her I was going to eat.  I informed her that since I was going with the guests to town,  Alec would be in charge so if she needed anything to let him know. Carrie laughed saying " Finally someone gets you away from here for a day." I chuckled nudging her saying ' Yes and he also worked it out that Mr. Garnett and I ride together." She smirked as I turned heading for the dining room replying " Oh good job Alec, kill two birds with one stone." I chuckled more replying "You both know nothing good will come from your meddling, nice try."  Carrie yelled at me before I made it through the door " Boss you need to find happiness so we try to help destiny along." I chuckled waving to her walking in the dining room, getting a plate of food then finding a quiet spot just to think about how these people, friends and employees all became like a family to me.

 I was deep in thought, so I hadn't noticed Reggie and Dwight come over until Reggie cleared his throat chuckling, making me shyly smile looking up.  " Please sit, sorry I was miles away in thought." I said softly and the both pulled out a chair sitting as Dwight said " Good thoughts or something you need help with Ms. Young." I shook my head no answering " Good things sir, self realizations in my life is all." He smiled to me and Reggie told me about the dance in town last night, how he met a few single girls, he also stated he was coming with us today as he has a lunch date with one of them. I  smiled saying" Treat her right and who knows what life will show you young man." he smirked nodding to me as we three ate our breakfast. Dwight reached for the salt shaker just when I did and as our hands touched, I quickly withdrew mine  as he smiled warmly to me using the shaker and passing it to me. After everyone finished eating I arranged for us to meet outside, so I knew who was staying behind giving  Alec and Carrie  some clue  how many would be at the ranch.

Alec stood by my side as we watched the guests load up in their vehicles heading to town so when the dust settled,  Alec and I knew he would have three families for a total of six adults and their two daughters Amy and Lexi. The two girls stated they wanted to stay at the lodge just relaxing, reading with the parents so Alec and Carrie should have an easy day ahead. Dwight pulled his truck up  while I finished talking with Alec and he reminded me to pick up the fireworks for the fourth this weekend. We always have a nice show for the guests, do a picnic out at the lake spending the day there then the ranch hands light off the fireworks over the lake. Reggie opened the door for me as I sat in the middle then he climbed in, Dwight smiled saying bye to Alec shaking his hand then got in and we pulled out the gates. I have to admit this was a comfortable ride, plenty of room, Reggie bouncing around making Dwight and I both chuckle at him. I sat close enough I could feel Dwight's body heat, smell his very nice cologne and had to keep telling myself I can't mix business with pleasure no matter how much my employees say I should throw "care into the wind".

Twenty minutes later Dwight parked on main street, Reggie got out holding the door for me then he said he'd catch back up with us around five pm so we could go back to the ranch.  I looked at Dwight as he smiled saying " Now that you're here and I have no particular plans, what can I help you with today Kandi?" I shrugged sighing " I only know that I have to get the fireworks, other than that Dwight, I have no plans, I really haven't thought  that far ahead." He chuckled as he placed his palm on my lower back leaning over as I felt his warm breath softly saying " Let's wing it then what do you say?" I smiled replying " Hmm spontaneity, something I haven't done in awhile."   He took a deep breathe leaning back up as he nodded to me and we started walking down the street just window shopping. Dwight and I seemed to have a lot in common, our tastes ran the same in colors, clothing designs, furniture, opinions about simple things, we  both seemed to come to the same realization over lunch as we both ordered the same soup and sandwiches.