Chapter 13: Final Experiment

Third person

A few more days passed before Jackson returned. Paisley had sprinkled some of the holy water on her door frame, in hopes it would give her an answer. It didn't feel good to have it in her house, but she figured that would pass after she got an answer.

Jackson knocked on the door to Paisley's apartment, but something felt different. There wasn't a good vibe from the place now. But when Paisley answered the door the feeling seemed to lessen.

"Hi Jackson..." She greeted softly, happy and anxious to see her lover.

"Hello Paisley. I'm sorry I haven't been able to come back as often. I'm trying to but with work and all-" Jackson explained before she cut him off by pulling him inside.

He went silent as a burning sensation began to fill his entire body. The holy water was taking it's affect on him, but he didn't want to let Paisley know that. Some part of him was happy she would finally know truth of him, but the rest wasn't.

How would Paisley ever love someone like him? Someone who had to torture people for eternity and couldn't be there for them? Surely she wouldn't stay around with him. What would she be getting out of the relationship? Loneliness. Jackson wouldn't be able to be there as much as he needed to be.

Perhaps it was better for her to leave him. It would save an eternity of pain just from not being around each other. But that wasn't what Jackson wanted. He wanted Paisley. He wanted a relationship with her; to hold her close at night, wake up with her in the morning, make her breakfast; he just wanted to be there to love her. That's what he truly wanted. At this point, he was willing to give anything for that. But he knew that could never happen.

Jackson would never be able to stop being Satan. He would always have to torture and be in hell. He wouldn't be able to love Paisley or be there for her. He couldn't give her what she wanted from life. He was doomed to an eternity of unhappy loneliness and that's how it was going to stay.

Jackson backed out of the apartment, his skin being a reddish color and small amounts of steam radiating off of his body. The holy water had started to really take its tole on him, but it could have been much worse.

Paisley noticed this and finally had her answer. She was shocked at first, not saying anything, but just staring up at Jackson. After a few moments it felt like she could speak again, so she did.

"So it's true... You are Satan..." She said softly, more to herself than him.

"Yes... I wasn't allowed to tell you, and to be honest I'm not sure it was even a good idea to let you find out anyway, but... But I wanted you to know... It explains the truth of why I'm never able to be here... And... It would make more sense for why this relationship is most likely going to end..." He explained, actually feeling a sad sensation for once in his existence.

"What? No! This relationship doesn't have to end, Jackson. We can make it work! That's what we've already been doing, isn't it? What does this change? I don't care about what you are or what you have to do! All I want is you!" Paisley argued, trying to convince Jackson to stay.

"It's not safe for you Paisley, it never was. You knowing what I truly am changed everything. You know the truth. I don't even belong here. I shouldn't have ever pursued you that night. For that I am sorry. But I can't give you what you want. I can't be there for you. I can't make you happy."

"You make me happy all the time!" She yelled, hugging him, with tears in her eyes.

This could possibly work out.