Michael shook his head. “Nope. I don’t wanna hear it. It’s reminding me of when we first got together and she was doing everything in her power to make your life harder.”

“You remember that?”

“It wasn’t that long ago.” He replied.

Mariah looked up at him. “That was almost ten years ago.”

I guess it was, wasn’t it?

“Ah- shit!” She shouted, holding onto her side.

“What’s wrong?”

“Fucking pain hit me.” She replied. “That shit hurt.”

She placed her hand on her lower abdomen, absently stroking it.

Michael just stared at her--a slow grin forming on his face. Though he wasn’t smiling because of her pain. He was smiling because of its beautiful source.

“God, you’re beautiful.” He whispered.

“What?”

“I said: you’re beautiful.” He responded.

She attempted a smirk. “I wish I felt that way.”

He sighed. Me too.

“I- I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to- I appreciate the compliment. I’m just really out of it right now.”

He nodded along. He didn’t mean to give off the vibe that he was upset. But he figured it was best to keep quiet either way.

“I’m so tired, Mike.” She said, a tear forming in her right eye. “I don’t mean to be so mean.”

“Aw baby, you can’t control your hormones-”

“Nina was right. I’m such a bitch to you.” She interjected.

Michael started again. “Yeah but I know it’s just the-”

“And I never let you breathe, I always get so critical of you.”

He nodded. “Yeah but you always get like this when you’re-”

“I know, I know. I’m sorry. I’m trying to control it. I’m jealous because I love you. And I don’t wanna lose you.” She explained.

Is that what it is?

He smiled. “Look, I know I do stupid shit too. It’s not like I don’t do things I know would hurt you, because I do. I just- I’m trying to handle everything. I don’t want you to feel like you have to take care of me. I’m trying to work through my demons.”

Mariah frowned. “But we’re married. We’re supposed to work through them together.”

“Not when you have a past like mine.”

She nodded, slowly. “What do you mean?”

“Nothing. It’s noth-”

“Ah! Damn it!” Her face glowed red hot.

Michael jerked closer to her. “You know what, I’m taking you to the hospital.”

“No!” She shouted.

Michael pulled back, confused.

“I’m fine.” She said as a tear slid down her cheek.

“You sure?”

She nodded, swiftly. It was clear that her pain was becoming unbearable, but he didn’t want to push anything she didn’t want.

She shouted in agony--her sobs all the same.