Chapter 36. Memory.

Hariena had heard many tales of Grizabella, the glamour cat who had a voice that could make even the toughest tom cat weep, she was a cat whom would have had sold out concerts and fans following her every move. Naturally, the female kitten was quite excited to hear Jemima sing in Grizabella's honour, but she could sense the queen was nervous.

"Alonzo, please, I don't think I can do this." Jemima croaked, her new mate was urging her to the centre of the yard but she dug her paws firmly into the ground.

"Why not? Your voice is angelic, Jem." Alonzo chuckled as he batted lawfully at her ears.

"No, Lonz I don't feel-"

"C'mon, please it would mean so much to Old Deuteronomy and what a great tribute to GRIZ!" Alonzo further encouraged. Jemima's heartbeat increased as she not only felt the nerves pick up but the throbbing pain in her head continued to pound. Hariena wriggled out of her father's arms and patterned forwards a few feet, all eyes fell to her.

Hariena: Daylight, see the dew on the sunflower and a rose that is fading, roses whither away. Like the sunflower, I yearn to turn my face to the dawn. I am waiting...for the day...

The kitten shrank back shyly into her parents embrace, Demeter tickled the kit behind the ear and Munkustrap kissed the top of his daughter's head. Jemima knew she couldn't back out of this- heck she didn't want to back out, something just didn't feel right. The familiar melody of the piano sounded and the red, white and black kit took a deep breath.

Jemima: Midnight, not a sound from the pavement, has the moon lost her memory? She is smiling alone...in the lamp light, the withered leaves collect at my feet and the wind begins to moan.
Memory, all alone in the moonlight, I can smile at the old days, life was beautiful then. I remember the time I knew what happiness was, let the memory live again...
Every street lamp seems to beat, a fatalistic warning. Someone mutters and a street lamp gutters, and soon it will be morning.
Daylight, I must wait for the sunrise, I must think of a new life and I mustn't give in...when the dawn comes, tonight will be a memory too, and a new life will begin...

The queen could feel her knees buckle and her vision blurred...she closed her eyes and let herself absorb the music, she could almost feel Grizabella's presence on stage.

Jemima: Burnt out ends of smokey days, the stale cold smell of morning. A street lamp dies, another night is over, another day is dawning...
Touch me! It's so easy to leave me! All alone with my memory of my days in the sun...if you touch me, you'll understand what happiness is, look a new day, has begun...

Her voice trailed higher and higher as the song ended, sending shivers down many spines. Only when she finally took a breath, did she open her glassy eyes, a single tear trickled from her eye as she collapsed to the floor.

Immediately, Alonzo threw himself forward as his mate fell backwards, her eyes fluttered shut as Alonzo attempted to hold the queen upright.

"Jem, can you hear me? Jemima?!" He meowed in desperation, the tom gave her shoulders an abrupt shake and her head lulled back. Jellylorum, Skimble and Munkustrap skidded over to the young couple, dismay written over their faces. Alonzo was so flustered he could barely string together a coherent sentence.

"What's happened?" Jelly inquired with urgency.

"I-I don't know? I think she said she felt unwell before singing?" Alonzo mumbled. Demeter's ears pricked up as she suddenly remembered what the young queen had said earlier.

"Jemima had mentioned her head hurt and her body ached..." Demeter added in. Frowning, Jelly glanced down at the kit whom was currently enveloped in Alonzo's arms.