Chapter 10. Mistoffelees.

The magical mister Mistoffelees, or Misto to his friends, was not quite and adult tom yet nor was he a kitten anymore, so quite naturally he felt very out of place. Whilst most of the other cats had gone to ward off the Pollicle, he had chosen to stay behind and complete some final preparations for the ball ahead. His current task was dusting off Bustopher Jones' top hat which he favored as a perch. 

Mistoffelees didn't mind solitude once in a while, however he did find himself awfully lonely at times, mostly when all of the other cats were doing something in groups, large groups had always made him feel uncomfortable. One of his closest friends was Cassandra. As unlikely as the friendship seemed, they balanced one another out perfectly. Another one of his closest friends was Electra. They'd often sing and dance together at the ball and even though she was a little younger Mistoffelees enjoyed her company, but Electra was always obsessing over that terrible bore, Tugger. She was still a kit and Mistoffelees didn't want to ruin her fun. 

"You know...you don't always have to hide away from all of us." It was Tumblebrutus, close friend and dance partner to the magic cat. 

"And you know how awful I find it hanging out in big groups." Mistoffelees responded, dusting the brim of the hat with his tail. Tumble strode further to his friend, swishing his tail. 

"But they all love you." 

"They love my powers." Mistoffelees quipped. Tumble frowned and shook his head. 

"That's not true and you know it." Tumblebrutus grumbled. Misto sighed and shrugged his shoulders. 

"For some it is." Mistoffelees whispered, his voice barely audible. Tumble shook his head once again and let out an abrupt chuckle at his friends foolish behavior. 

"Well Munkustrap is in a strop so we are all out in the yard, you should come out, Misto. Socialize." With that, Tumblebrutus rolled out of the den-like area. It was Coricopat and Tantomile who entered next. The psychic twins in their perfect unison movements. Misto quite liked the twins, though they weren't magical like himself, their mysterious sense always intrigued him. 

"Hi guys." Mistoffelees greeted as he pushed the hat back into place. 

"Good afternoon, Mistoffelees." Tanotmile and Coricopat meowed in perfect sync. 

"I guess you're not up to hanging out with the others as well?" Misto muttered as he proceeded to dust off his dark paws. 

"We came to warn." Coricopat uttered lowly. 

"Of what?" Misto queried, his brows furrowed. 

"They're coming. Tonight." Tantomile whispered. Her grey eyes seemed to glow like crystal balls. 

"Who are? Tantomile, who is coming?!" Mistoffelees meowed in urgency. Without another word, Coricopat and Tantomile slinked away into the shadows, disappearing from the magic cat's sight. In sheer and utter panic, Mistoffelees sprinted out through the big pipe entrance into the yard where the cats were. Misto was greeted with the sight of Tugger pointing in his direction with a wicked grin upon his face. 

"Electra, I dare you to spend seven minutes in the den with Misto!" Electra shrieked in rage, she leaped over to Tugger read to claw at him. 

"Is that the only dare you know?! Poor Misto doesn't want to spend seven 'boring' minutes in the den with me!" The cat scowled. 

"Actually..." Misto gulped, he needed to talk to Electra, to tell her of what had just happened. Electra and Tugger's jaws dropped. 

"Den! Den! Den!" Some of the other cats began to chant. 

"What?! Misto, no he can pick another dare!" Electra protested. 

"I need to talk to you anyway." Misto meowed, taking hold of one of her paws and dragging her off of Tugger. Together, they bundled into the nearest den, leaving behind the jeering cats. Needless to say, Electra was very confused. 

"What's going on?" She asked once they were out of earshot of any other cats. Mistoffelees began to recall the events of only a few moments ago, not leaving out a single detail. Electra was just as curious as Mistoffelees, in fact, her whiskers began to twitch in fear. 

"Don't be scared, Electra." Misto comforted, letting her tail twine with his. 

"But what Tanto said is a bit cryptic. We have to tell someone." Electra whimpered. "Cori and Tanto are never wrong." 

"Tell Jenny." Mistoffelees instructed. 

"What? Why me?" Electra exclaimed in dismay. 

"Because she likes you, you're like her own kitten." Misto chuckled. 

"She likes you as well." Electra retorted. 

"Only because she thinks we're a good match. Now go!" Misto waved Electra off and the kit scampered away. Mistoffelees waited several moments before emerging himself to face the group of toms and queens outside.