Chapter 21. Mungojerrie and Rumpleteazer.

Two fluffy orange ears peaked out beside the automobile

Two fluffy orange ears peaked out beside the automobile. There was a cheeky giggle followed by an abrupt 'shh!' Rumpleteazer's head popped up and gave a quick glance around the yard. When the coast was clear she leaped up onto the car. 

"Come on!" She whispered encouragingly down the gap she'd appeared from. Mungojerrie hopped up beside his sister, the pair hauled a sack over their shoulders before squatting and twiddling their claws against their knees. Once they were upright again, they tiptoed in time with the twinkling child like tune. Rumple giggled cheekily as she slid down the trunk of the car, as Jerrie landed beside her he hushed her again. The pair squatted, tiptoed and then split apart as if a spot light was searching for them. All of a sudden, the siblings bumped into one another and carelessly threw their sacks behind in shock. 

Mungojerrie: Mungojerrie,

Rumpleteazer: And Rumpleteazer.

Mungo and Rumple: We're a notorious couple of cats. 

Rumpleteazer: As knock-about clowns, quick change comedians, tightrope walkers and acrobats,

Mungojerrie: We 'ave an extensive reputation, we make our home in Victoria Grove. 

Rumple pouted and pretended she was typing on a typewriter.

Mungojerrie: This is merely our center of operation, 

Mungo and Rumple: For we are incurably given to rove!

Mungojerrie leapfrogged high into the air over his sister, landing with a hop and a salute. 

Mungo and Rumple: When the family assembles for Sunday dinner,

Rumpleteazer: Their minds made up that they won't get thinner. 

Mungojerrie: Oh! An Argentine joint,

Rumpleteazer: Potatoes and greens, then the cook would appear from behind the scenes!

Mungojerrie: An' say in a voice that is broken with sorra' 'I'm afraid you must wait and have dinner tomorrow, the joint has gone from the oven like that!'

Rumple gave a quick snicker before turning to her sibling. 

Mungo and Rumple: The the family'll say 'it's that 'orrible cat!' 

Mungo rose to his paws and pulled on his shirt cheekily. 

Mungojerrie: Was it Mungojerrie?

Rumpleteazer: Or Rumpleteazer? 

Mungo grabbed hold of his sister's paw and they skipped backwards with smirks plastered to their faces. 

Mungo and Rumple: And most of the time they leave it at that! Mungojerrie and Rumpleteazer 'ave a wonderful way of workin' together and some of the time you would say it was luck! And some of the time you would say it was whether, we go through the house like a hurricane! 

Mungo picked up Teazer and swung her around in a cartwheel motion, she landed with a wobble and ruffled her ears. 

Mungojerrie: 'An no sober person-! 

Mungo and Rumple: Could take 'is oath! 

Mungojerrie: Was it Mungojerrie?! 

Rumpleteazer: Or Rrrrrumpleteazer?!

Mungo and Rumple: Or could you 'ave sworn that it might 'ave been both?! 

The twins gave each other a grand bow before whipping around and skipping to the right. 

Mungo and Rumple: And when you hear a dining room smash! Or up from the pantry there comes a loud crash, or down from the library came a loud ping, from a vase which was commonly said to be Miiiiinnnng...

They leaned forward as if they were watching the vase fall right before their eyes. Rumple glanced back up at her brother and gave him a slightly guilty look. The pair pattered apart before joining back up near the tire. They grabbed hold of the other's paws and stared into one another's eyes, grinning. 

Mungo and Rumple: Then the family will say 'now which was which cat?!'

As Jerrie stood upright, Rumpleteazer jogged behind her brother and laid her paws on his side. 

Mungojerrie: It was...Mungojerrie! 

Rumple jumped out from behind looking slightly taken-back. 

Rumpleteazer: And! Ruuumpleteazer! The calico siblings cartwheeled to the side before linking onto one another and performing their famous double cartwheel. At the end of their tumbles, they linked arms and marched dizzily forwards. 

Mungo and Rumple: And there's nothing at all to be done about that!  As their final pose, Rumpleteazer hopped up against her brother's side, kicking out her leg, Mungo stretched out his free arm to the air and wiggled his paw. 

Suddenly, the Jellicles poured from the dens, hissing and tutting at the calico twins antics. They surrounded them in a circle, blocking any paths of escape. Quickly, Rumple and Mungo barrled up the trunk of the car, Alonzo and Munkustrap help up the sacks of loot triumphantly before tossing them high over the junk pile, out of reach of the cat burglars. Rumpleteazer huffed in annoyance and Mungojerrie pointed a paw warningly to the superiors. 

And there's nothing at all to be done about that! 

Moments later, Pouncival hopped up onto the automobile beside Rumpleteazer and Mungojerrie. 

"You guys'll never give it up!" He meowed with a laugh. 

"Never!" Rumpleteazer declared proudly. "Speaking of, you like my pearls, Pounce?" She snickered as she pointed out the string of pearls that were tied around her neck in place of her collar. Mungo's eyes widened in realization as he watched his sister with his friend. Everything slotted into place, Teazer wanted the pearls to show off to Pounce! Rumpleteazer liked Pouncival! 

Alonzo and Munkustrap wandered over to the entrance of a den, out of earshot from any other Jellicles. The events of earlier still fresh in their minds. A stranger magic cat named Caligo had found her way to the Jellicle junkyard. Her intentions were unclear and this put both of the toms extremely on edge. 

"As soon as Old Deuteronomy get's here we must inform him of what has happened this evening." Munkustrap mewed lowly. 

"Agreed, we have no idea if Caligo is a danger to the tribe." Alonzo responded. 

"I fear we are going to find out very soon though..." Munkustrap whispered.