Chapter 31. Growltiger's last stand.

*I have combined different versions of Growltiger's last stand for this chapter, that is why it doesn't entirely match the song above*

It was the first performance as Growltiger for Gus, this role was a career changer. As the music began to pump through the theatre, the mast of the ship lowered and Grumbskin sprinted out, followed by Butch and Tumblebrutus. The props had been set and then the remaining crew wandered out, glancing about for their captain. As Gus waited backstage for his cue, Jellylorum sauntered about with her tail flicking in teasing circles.

"Break a leg, Gus." She hummed in passing.

Growltiger was a bravo cat who travelled on a barge,
In fact he was the roughest cat that ever roamed at large.

Tumblebrutus: From Gravesend up to Oxford he pursued his evil aims, rejoicing in his tittle of the "Terror of the Thames!"

Growltiger stalked out to the centre of the stage and gave a thunderous laugh, making Butch leap into Cornelius' arms.

Humbert: His manner and appearance did not calculate to please, his coat was torn and seedy, it was baggy at the knees.

Damson: One ear was somewhat missing, no need to tell you why and he scowled upon a hostile world from one forbidding eye!

The cottagers of Rotherhithe knew something of his fame.
At Hammersmith and Putney, people shuddered at his name!
They would fortify the henhouse, lock up the silly goose...when a rumour ran along the shore...

Growltiger: Growltiger's on the loose!

The the fearsome tom roared in laughter once again, Butch began to quiver at the captain's temperament.

Butch: Woe to the weak canary that fluttered from its cage!

Tumblebrutus: Woe to the pampered Pekinese that faced Growltiger's rage!

Cornelius: Woe to the bristly bandicoot that lurks on foreign ships!

Grumbskin: And woe to any cat with whom Growltiger came to grips!

But most to cats of foreign race his hatred had been vowed,
To cats of foreign name and race,
No quarter was allowed,
The Persian and the Siamese regarded him with fear,
Because it was a Siamese that mauled his missing ear...

Now on a peaceful summer's night all nature seemed at play,
The tender moon was shining bright,
The barge at Molsey lay,
All in the balmy moonlight it lay rocking on the tide,
And Growltiger was disposed to show his sentimental side...

Grumbskin and Tumblebrutus saluted to their captain who gave a sharp nod in return before the toms exited the stage. Growltiger took centre and ruffled his torn coat as Humbert began to sing.

Humbert: Growltiger's bucko mate, Grumbskin, long since had disappeared, for to the Bell at Hampton he had gone to wet his beard, and his bosun Tumblebrutus; he too had stole away, in the yard behind the Lion, he was prowling for his prey.

Cornelius: In the fore peak of the vessel Growltiger stood alone,

Growltiger: Concentrating my attention on the lady Griddlebone!