Chapter 9. The Rum Tum Tugger.

Much to his protest, the Rum Tum Tugger had been left behind at the Jellicle clearing as Munkustrap had bluntly put it 'you'll cause more damage than the Pollicle.'

So now the extravagant tom was lounging on the boot of the old automobile watching Demeter and Munkustrap's kittens chase mice. George and Callus pounced about pawing at the tiny creatures and Hariena sat at the base of the automobile grooming her coat. Tugger rolled onto his back and stretched his long legs to the air before letting out an irritable grumble.

"Say, Tugger?" Callus meowed as he fiddled with the stringy tail of a mouse.

"What?" Tugger grunted, shielding his eyes from the sunlight.

"Why'd ya not go with the others?" The kitten questioned. Tugger scoffed to himself, the tiny tom was so much like his father.

"Because your daddy didn't want me too."

"Oh..." Callus mused. "I thought he did, you're brothers after all, eh uncle Tuggs?"

"Unfortunately." Tugger huffed, rolling back to have his long legs out. After several more minutes of an unbearable lounge in the sun listening to the kittens, Tugger jumped up fully prepared to go to the den and have a nap when suddenly, Pouncival and Admetus sprinted into the clearing.

"You beat me?! Again?!" Pouncival exclaimed in shock as he tried to regain his breath.

"I have an unfair advantage. You see these cheekbones? Aerodynamically suited for speed." Admetus boasted smugly. Not long after their arrival, all of the others began to turn up.

"Are we in trouble then?" Rumpleteazer questioned Munkustrap, she pulled on his tail to slow the tabby down. Mungojerrie wasn't far behind, he was cradling his injured tail.

"Have a guess." Munkustrap meowed bluntly.

"No?" Mungojerrie guessed, his eyebrows raised.

"Have another guess." Munkustrap snapped. He yanked his tail from Rumpleteazer's grasp and stormed over to his kittens before picking up George and Callus by the scruffs, Hariena followed behind obediently.

"At least he didn't try to shun us this time." Rumpleteazer shrugged. Tugger snorted at the slightly younger cats. If it wasn't himself giving Munkustrap a headache, it was the burgling calico siblings.

Tugger sprung off of his perch and strolled over to the accumulating group of cats. He rested his tail over Etcetera's shoulders, sending the kit into a squealing frenzy.

"So what did I miss out on then?" Tugger asked before turning and tickling the underside of Electra's chin.

"Well what didn't you miss?! Mungo and Teazer got held up by a Pollicle, Jemima bravely stayed behind and then distracted it!" Etcetera began babbling.

"Mungo got his tail squashed, Rumpleteazer went back for Jemima and then they made their brilliant escape by shooting down a junk pile in a trolley!" Electra finished, gazing up admiringly to Tugger. The curious cat chuckled to the girls which made them squeal once again.

"Speaking of Jemima, where is she?" Victoria interjected, causing the other cats to glance around.

"Last I saw, she was with Skimble, he was helping her walk." Rumpleteazer added.

"Wait a minute, you went joyriding in a trolley without me?!" Mungojerrie exclaimed in astonishment.

"Oh my Jellicles! Yes, Mungo we gotta go joyriding after the ball!" Rumpleteazer squeaked in excitement. Rapidly, the siblings skipped away in excitement leaving Tugger with Electra and Etcetera hanging off of him. Pouncival and Tumblebrutus wandered over with confused expressions upon their faces.

"Why are Teazer and Mungo so hyped?" Pouncival questioned as he crouched down to the ground. Etcetera pulled herself away from Tugger and skidded to the floor next to her brother.

"They're going to go joyriding after the ball." She explained as she scratched at her fluffy ear.

"Oh lord..." Tumblebrutus clapped his paw to his face, already picturing it going wrong. "Tugger have you seen Misto anywhere?"

"He was dusting Bustopher Jones top hat." Tugger replied nonchalantly. Tumblebrutus nodded and slinked away to find his friend. The Rum Tum Tugger sat down himself now, kicking out his legs and Electra took her place next to Etcetera and Pouncival, making a small circle. Soon enough several other cats had gathered, Cassandra, Exotica, Alonzo, Victoria, Plato and Admetus. All of a sudden, a sly smile crossed over Tugger's face and his whiskers began to twitch in excitement.

"Uh oh, what just crossed your mind then?" Alonzo groaned as he spotted Tugger's expression.

"Let's play a game, something the humans call 'Truth or Dare'." Tugger mused mischievously.

"Sounds interesting..." Cassandra purred. Admetus and Alonzo perked up and agreed to play, Exotica gave a little giggle at the tom's behavior around her friend.

"Alright, Cassandra, truth or dare?" Tugger pointed his gloved paw to her. The sleek sphinx queen straightened her back, licked her lips and twitched her whiskers confidently.

"Dare." She replied, her eyes sparkled in amusement and a smirk played on her mouth. Etcetera and Electra gasped at the slightly older cat's bravery.

"I dare you to..." Tugger trailed off as he formulated a dare in his mind, then his eyes lit up as the perfect dare sprung to mind. "I dare you to spend seven minutes in the den with Alonzo!"

"I don't think so." Cassandra objected coolly.

"Come on, Cass. Just Give Alonzo a chance!" Tugger jeered.

"He's cool." Admetus added.

"He's funny." Pouncival chipped in.

"I'm attractive." Tugger included.

"Tugger!" Pouncival scolded, his head whipped around to the curious cat.

"I was only going to compare and contrast, and then ultimately prove that Alonzo is a reasonably attractive bloke." Tugger chuckled. Alonzo however was not amused and had an expression of thunder.

"Tugger, I am not spending seven minutes in the den with Alonzo, he's a ten." The queen sneered.

"Wow?! You think I'm better looking than you Cass?" Alonzo recoiled in amazement.

"No. I'm an eleven."

"Stay foxy, Cassandra." Alonzo grinned with a wink.

"Die lonely, Alonzo." Cassandra hissed before standing up and stalking away.