Chapter 43: Into the Coven

LUNA

"Morning, Ms Ghost." Harry greets me warmly as I walk back into his office.

"I told you that you can call me Luna, Harry." I chuckle nervously as I take a seat. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to act around him, considering now I'm his boss.

"Alright, Luna. Well, we will have daily meetings for the first three months of you time here. I'll try to catch you up on occult history, and prep you for your daily agenda. Today we'll start out light, leave the more complicated history lessons until you understand the basics, have your tour, greet the army and the witches. You also have a meeting at the end of the week with the representatives so they can air any concerns to you. You should prepare for this thoroughly, I'll help you."

"Right." I nod, doing my best to keep up with him "Is there any way I could change who takes me on my tour?" 

He pauses and blinks blankly at me for a moment "You don't want Zayn to take you?"

I scramble for an excuse, one that doesn't hint at the trouble in our paradise "I think I should be getting to know the community more, I don't want them to just think of me as Zayn's pet, maybe a representative could take me?"

"A soldier has to take you, it's protocol." Harry is suspicious, his green eyes narrow at me, but he turns to his computer and taps away "I'll have Derek Hale, the alpha, take you."

I puff out a breath from my nostrils at the mention of him. I pick at my fingers to try and distract from the rush of guilt, try to look anywhere but at Harry as my cheeks burn like when I first saw him.

"Thank you." I whisper.

"It's my job." He states, matter-of-fact "OK, moving on. The basics. You need to understand that this community runs like a well-oiled machine, I've seen to that. So did your mother. Each district plays their role. A large percentage of our community is in the army, the others work either here, in the brain and schooling system, in the weapon district, housing district, prisons, the markets or directly for you. The witches tend to their own district and the gardens alongside some fairies. We don't really work for money here. Every family unit or individual is given a house and a car if needed. The house sizes are distributed depending on unit size, the more people living together, the bigger the house. House units send in shopping lists equal to a certain amount, which is provided for them as a basic right of being a part of our community, however, if they wish for anything extra, we have grocers and shops in the market where people can trade for things. Either belongings, or resources, or odd jobs. We try to keep monetary value out of it where we can, but we do provide money for those who have business outside of the realm where it's necessary. We do have a court and judicial system, that you will head. You don't have to sit in on cases, but you will be expected at any big trials. We don't get them often. You'll need to learn our laws, but generally, they're quite simple, and people don't break them. Our healthcare is run mainly by fairies, mermaids and witches, though is rarely used, on account of healing systems around here, but if at any point you feel unwell, please do see to them. They're open for anyone in the community. Our weapons district is more closed off. We keep our weaponry to trained and approved soldiers and individuals, for safety. Head of security will authorise the use of weaponry, though you can overrule his decisions. You will be given a gun and some specialist bullets upon your visit there. Please refrain from using them, unless in an emergency."

He waits for me to confirm my understanding. I do so with a tight smile.

"Our markets are very important to our community. They are the livelihood. We have small businesses, restaurants, salons, etcetera. I suggest you become acquainted with them."

"How do the people that run those get paid?" I ask.

"There is less need for money here, with most things being provided. A lot of occults that run the businesses will accept trades or offers to help them with odd jobs. Occasionally, they will accept money. Sometimes they ask for nothing, in the understanding that others will ask for nothing of them later on down the line."