Chapter 41: The Crown and Bloodshed

LUNA

I am still trying to process how an entire city painted itself into bare grassland in front of my eyes as I sit in a room that is impossibly white, impossibly minimalist and impossibly empty. It's an office, a white desk with a white computer with white desktop screens and a white empty chair opposite me. The only thing to have any colour other than white are the masses of books lined on shelves, on either sides of the room. Red, brown, blue, and green spines of books lined neatly, colour coded, organised by genre which little tags indicating which. It reminds me of Zayn's collection.

Zayn reenters the room, laughing with a curly-haired man. When the man spots me, he stiffens, green eyes fixating on me, but not as if he's uncomfortable, as if there is some kind of inherent formality required between us. He nods quickly and clasps his hands in front of him.

"Miss Ghost." He greets me and my cheeks flush red. I am not used to feeling important "I'm Harry, I run the Brain. I'm going to help you through today."

"Luna is fine." I clear my throat awkwardly "Nice to meet you, Harry."

He walks around the desk, taking a seat opposite me, Zayn leans against the wall to the left of me, dressed in a uniform I've never seen before. A tight black t-shirt, black cargo trousers held up by a black belt, with sheaths filled with various things and black combat boots. He sticks out like a sore thumb amongst the sea of white.

"So, the coronation." Harry starts, opening his computer, and twisting one of the screens to face me. It displays various pages with different stages outlined and bullet points and reference pictures of places I've never seen before "By the end of the day you will be our new leader. I assume Zayn has talked you through our political structure."

I look up at Zayn as he smiles lazily back at me.

"No, he hasn't." I admit.

"I was hoping it would never come to this, that I'd convince you to run away with me, Luna." Zayn huffs "Plus, I figured you'd do a better job, Haz."

"Right." Harry shoots him a quick glance "We operate with a bit of a blended system here. We are, mostly, a democratic republic. Each species group elects their own representatives to be a part of our own government, and reflect their wants to our central leadership, made up of the head of security, the main advisor and the ultimate power, who we call Jefe, per your mother's request. Our current Jefe, as you well know, is Zayn."

"Last day on the job." Zayn winks.

"The main advisor serves as the Jefe's right-hand man, they will consult on all matters surrounding the group. They will also give you lessons on the occult world, given how new it is to you. The occults who work in the brain document the entirety of occult history, you'll have to work through these archives. The head of security will be in charge of the weapon district and training programmes, as well as being commander of the army, though you'll always be supreme commander. They will provide strategies and plans and organise security details for the base and for yourself." He points to various bullet points on the screen relaying similar information "The Jefe's main job is to make the decisions on the big stuff, and provide solutions for issues brought to them by the representatives, keep the factions running and aid in the dismantling of the blood incubi base, aptly named sanguinis basi." Harry continues "You should also be aware of our in-house coven, the Luna Coven."

"What?" I gawk.

"Your mother was never subtle about her intentions for the future of the group. The Coven, while on paper technically answer to you, over everything, they answer to the governing witches, as we all do, but them more than anyone." Harry laughs lightly, and I note he has a nice smile "Getting along well with the coven will be essential to your success here, to keep them listening to you more than them. The Coven head, Celine Silver, will be carrying out your coronation today. You will complete a ritual, and meet all of the representatives. You will then be asked to choose your main advisor and head of security."