Chapter 14: The Music Box

LUNA

My day starts as it always does lately, making my way down the marble staircase, cool against my bare feet, that leads to the extravagant main floor. I anticipate that Zayn will be sat at the breakfast island, reading a novel, as he always is in the mornings, in his running shorts and a loose t-shirt.

Though I'll never verbalise it, I enjoy our routine, I adore turning the corner every morning and finding him sat there, whichever book he's reading at the time clutched carefully in his long fingers, sard brown eyes trained on the door waiting for my arrival. I find something about him magnetising, and I haven't been able to put my thumb on what it is just yet. I have a theory though. I've never been oblivious to the fact there is an allure to darkness, it's what half of Hollywood movies are based on. The fact that Zayn, an all-powerful supernatural being, has such loyalty to me is - of course - intriguing. Something about someone who doesn't care about anything being willing to lay their life down for you is hard to ignore, to say the least.

I get to the kitchen doorway, the door being ajar. I push through it, eager to see Zayn assuming his normal position. But he's not. I'm, instead, greeted by the scene of Jade sat happily on his lap at the round kitchen table while he kisses her neck.

Something about the sight causes a burn in my chest, like the lit end of a cigarette being pressed into the skin that covers my ribcage. I fold my arms, trying to stop the feeling but it spreads to my arms, taking over the entirety of my torso and crawling up my throat. I clear it to announce my presence, hoping it will stop their public display of affection.

It does. Zayn's eyes find me quickly, his grip on Jade loosening. He looks guilty, like a deer in headlights.

"Well, don't stop on my account." I scoff sarcastically to cover up the inexplicable jealousy in my tone "It's not like I haven't seen you both naked fucking on the sofa."

Jade scowls at me, plump lips forming a tight line. She's a very beautiful woman, sleek black hair cut into a long bob standing out against her pale, fawn skin. Her features are sharp, jaw squared and cheekbones high. She stares at me through her thick eyebrows with her grey-blue eyes, angry at my intrusion.

"Morning." I say bitingly.

She doesn't respond, simply narrowing her upturned eyes at me.

"Morning, Luna." Zayn replies for her, standing and placing a hand on the small of her back.

I ignore him, making my way to the pantry to make the same breakfast I have every day, grabbing a small white bowl from the overhead cupboard.

"Sleep well?" He asks me, his voice somewhat nervous.

"Not as well as you, evidently."

I can't help but be a dick right now, the words form and slip past my lips before I can approve of them.

"Jade, why don't you run a bath, I'll be down to join you in a moment." He averts his attention to her, smiling softly as if to help convince her.

She expels a deep breath from her lungs before nodding slowly and leaving the room, leaving the door swinging on its hinge as she does.

JADE

I watch from the crack I left visible in the doorway, so they can't see me observing them.

"Have I done something to annoy you?" Zayn's voice sounds more concerned than I've ever heard it.

She stands with her arms folded, barely dressed. She shrugs lazily and I see the disappointment in his face. He is a victim to her looks right now, practically putty in her hands as she sends him an unamused glance.