1. suitcase

Crisp air whispered softly into her ears, sending shivers to run up her spine.

With blurred vision and trembling fingers she walked up her path; a rather tangled line.

The seemingly unknown city that stood before her under the dark night sky gleamed with iridescent lights, piercing her clouded mind. A groan escaped her parted lips along with her visible breath in forms of clouds as she struggled to keep going.

Tossing her pink suitcase aside for a moment, she used it as her support to withstand the pain that weighed down her heart. She looked up at the sky for a moment, letting light tears trail down her face.

She felt cold in a way she'd never felt before. Perhaps it was the numbing breeze that blew long midnight locks into the night. But it was mostly that emptiness that hollowed her heart, that loneliness.

The girl exhaled a humorless laugh.

"I couldn't have been more stupid."

Silence surrounded her. Rarely, it was interrupted by the common passerby; business people on their way back home after a long exhausting day, because, who else would be walking around in plain winter at midnight?

"Only me and my stupidity," the bluenette thought as she cleared up the lingering tears from her face.

"Marinette, quit calling yourself that." Another whisper in her ear. "Everyone commits mistakes."

Marinette laughed once again, causing a random pedestrian to gawk at her strangely.

"Yes, I'm crazy", was what the bluenette wanted to yell at every judging eye, at every pointing finger. "I'm complete and utterly senseless and I don't give a damn."

"Marinette."

Her voice hinted at disapproval, but the girl knew that behind it she felt proud of her for not caring anymore, and for realizing how much stronger she was.

"You know what, Tikki?" The girl thought with a slight smile.

Marinette could hear her humming in the vast of her mind. She continued, "I say we start looking for a place to spend the night. Tomorrow is a new day and we will need the energy to begin once again."

Her friend giggled in her mind, voicing her thoughts of approbation.

It had always been like this.

Silence had long surrounded the girl, and before she knew it, she'd been all alone. Though never truly. She had always had that small, caring voice in her head. That sweet confident and companion.

Her guardian angel.

"Aish... Where are gentlemen when you need them?" Marinette whined as she struggled with her suitcase. Seemingly high heels didn't help either. Why had she chosen those shoes out of all days, she didn't know either.

"Excuse me, lovely lady," a husky voice suddenly said from behind her.

She turned around to come face to face with a man. Dark brown hair fell over light hazel eyes. His physique could only be described as sturdy and well built. The male appeared to be on his middle twenties.

"Wow, I jinxed it."

"Mari, I don't think we should trust this--"

"Would you like some help with that?" He signaled her grand bag with his chin, a smirk barely tugging up his thin lips.

"Um, actually, I don't think-" Marinette was cut off when the man pushed her aside, almost throwing her onto the cold pavement.

He snatched the bag from her, turning on his heels and preparing for his race.