4. white noise

Him. Walking away. Away from me. Why? What have I done? What have I not done? No, this can't be true. It can't.

But it was.

Sunlight woke her up. Never before had she been awoken in such peaceful manner. At her own pace. It had always been a shrieking old-school alarm programmed to cut short any of her dreams. Or it had been the slightly-panicked voice of her mother urging the girl in a rush to get her behind out of bed and off to school.
Her mother, oh how she missed her. How had she been so foolish as to renounce to everything for the sake of it? For the sake of something that at the end had proven to be so false that could now compare to the fleeting smiles he'd given her? Who could blame her, the girl had been in love.

Soft movements were what it took for her to realize the inevitable. She had a hangover. Marinette willed herself upright,  wriggling in the slowest of motions until her elbow had the perfect stance to push herself up. Her stomach did a turn on its own and her head did not cease to twirl. Twirl and twirl and twirl and--

"Ow," the girl puffed, having landed on the floor once again.

Have I fallen from bed? Marinette wondered, clutching her head with both hands. Her hand reached for what she believed was the bedframe (long strands of dark hair frustrated her vision), her hand awkardly waving around until her limb gave in and her face met the floor for a second time.

Tikki, where are you? Send help. She mumbled her thoughts as she managed to sit up, hands resting uncomfortably along her sides as she took in the rather quiet ambience. A couple of blinks was what it took. She wasn't home, she realized. Then, where was she?

Blue eyes doubled in side and she painfully turned her head to every possible direction. An off-white room. So bright were its walls it stung her irises. Oh God, was it the morgue? No, they are usually quite crowded and busy with medics, corpses and whatnot. The place, being so awfully calm, couldn't have been near any public place for that matter. The only thing Marinette could hear was the silence that filled her ears.

Tikki, where was she? She could feel her presence but she had yet to hear her ever-so-sweet, ever-so-wise voice. She was hiding from her, Marinette could only conclude with an aching heart. If she weren't, Tikki would have been the one that woke her up and drove her careless behind out from that place. Had she given up on her for risking it and not giving two fucks about it? Or had Marinette long become a disappointment to everyone around her that they'd decided do leave her?

There it was again. That feeling of beeing left alone, of being abandoned. It was grim, bitter; it turned her insides and stirred up her mind, and perhaps that'd all been an effect of the alcohol but she couldn't tell. She did notice, however, the silence that accompanied her. No, it accosted her in the shape of walls and a shade of ivory and she'd never felt more nauseated, she realized, by the noise of naught and the sight of white.

Blue irises closed to the white noise, and, as tears gathered around the corner of her eyes, she bit down on her lip with the sudden urge of screaming, because, fuck, was crying all she could ever do?

"I would be crying, too, if I were you. I mean, you must be feeling like shit."

Her eyes opened and first directed her towards her hand where white crescent moons had formed from the tight grip of her fists. Then, they turned frantically through the room to find white noise staring back at them. She'd surely gone mad, to hear his voice at times like that. But what's most astonishing, she'd remembered the voice of the stranger, the voice of no one.

"A-Adrien?" She called out feeling fearful but only slightly.

"Should I feel grateful that you remember my name or annoyed that it took you so long?"