3. little worm

He took the glass firmly and swallowed its blazing content with a gulp, a breath of satisfaction leaving his lips. "It's been long, hasn't it?" He thought, as he pulled up the girl by the hand, their fingers almost interwinding.

"How much would it be?" He asked the man, not a hint of disorientation in his voice, next to him, the girl trembled lightly as she struggled to set her hand free, silently cursing at him for not letting her continue what she'd come to do. For not letting her forget.

The young male paid the man for all the drunk shots, plus the couple of beers he'd had. Then, grabbing the suitcase, directed the girl into the cold night.

"Wait, I-I h-haven't finished," managed to hiccup the girl amidst light shivers.

She carried nothing but a light coat over her shoulders. And it was well after two. The temperature had long dropped to a startling cold.

Adrien shook his head at her carelessness as he came to a halt, making her bump into his back. She pulled away, rubbing her sore nose, and managed to steal a glance of him. His green eyes were ever so bright, they scanned the place for unwanted witnesses. Something inside her screamed at her to leave, to not follow the man. But the spiraling mind of hers and the crude cold that was the night would not let her think properly and listen to that small voice that had long protected her.

After making sure no one was around to see, Adrien rapidly took off his black sweaters and pressed it onto her back, the hoodie blinding her for a second as it fell on her eyes. She reached for it, and managed to catch a glimpse of golden before he had put on a cap (which he normally carried inside the coat's pocket).

"Now tell me, Marinette, where do you live?"

"I-" the girl found it difficult to let out a word. The burning in her throat and the cold that stung her was too much. And the thought of her residence hurt her even more. "Mom says I'm not supposed to tell that to strangers."

Adrien laughed, finding the situation rather humorous, "Well, you didn't think the same when you invited me for a drink, did you?" The girl lowered her eyes with a blush, "Drink that I had to pay."

"Just shut up and take me home," Marinette growled angrily, the drink had sure gotten the best of her.

"That's exactly what I want to do," he looked at the void street before him. "Get rid of you as fast as I can."

He whispered a little too loud.

The girl had already wiped the lingering tears from her eyes and taken the suitcase to follow the dark path.

"Hey, hey, hey, not so fast. Do you even know where you're going?"

"You want me gone right? Everyone does. Well, I'm just doing you a favor."

Her swirling head wasn't helping, she stumbled with a small rock and fell face first onto the cold asphalt. And Adrien had to bite his tongue to suppress a laugh. Although he became a bit worried when she stayed unmoved.

"Great. Just what I needed. She passed out. Now, what am I supposed to do with her." He thought, a bit annoyed. "And she got my coat all dirty, goddammit."

He walked up to where she laid and lowered himself to poke at her arm.

"You, wake up," at her stillness, he sighed, running his hand over his face. "You can't sleep yet, you have to tell me where you're home is so that I can take you there. Then, you'll sleep all you want, deal?"

He realized she was shuddering, perhaps an effect of the cold ground. But then, he noticed she was rather shaking, and behind her long, dark hair which covered her now even paler face, a trail of tears had formed.