43 ∞ confirmation

Day Eleven ∞ Monday

TWO CARS ARRIVED AFTER LUNCH and Danny had to leave Mickmi to her own devices. One owner claimed his Cortina was making a cracking noise so Danny jacked up the front end, rocked a wheel and nodded—he knew what the problem was. He removed the wheel and got to work. He was so focused, he didn't hear the white-and-pink bug driving in as Ray's Olds finally backed out of the bodywork bay with its brand new look.

Nathan looked over the door at Aaron who was on his back testing wires leading to the instrument panel of a VW van. "Did you tell her?"

"Tell who?"

"Debs. She's here."

Aaron pulled his head out from under the dashboard, meeting his youngest brother's gaze with a grin. "Nope. Waste of time. Better she finds out for herself." Nathan posed the same question to Jason who replied, "Just that there's a new girl working here."

Nathan returned to the workbench where he'd been working on a master cylinder, but he had no intention of missing out on the next few minutes. This was going to be interesting.

Debbie caught sight of Mickmi at the bench nearest to the office as she turned off the engine. "Hello," she said abruptly, and Mickmi lifted her head to nod in response with her serene expression. Debbie frowned a little, giving Mickmi's oversized overall and half-naked motorbike a once-over before she got out of the car and headed for Nathan. "Guys, guys, guess what!" she said with her chirpy voice, waving something in her hand. "I've got tickets to the Miss Lake Eufaula Beauty Pageant on Friday!"

"Cool," Nathan said as she stuffed one ticket in the breast pocket of his coveralls. She did the same to Jason, "They were giving them out at rehearsal today and I made sure to get extra so y'all can come and support me!" She leaned over Aaron and found his pocket.

"Thanks, Debs!" he said, grinning.

Ray came to her, pulled a ticket from her hand and looked at it. "Is this one mine?"

"Of course!" She looked around the shop. "Where's my Danny?"

Ray jabbed a thumb over his shoulder, biting his lip so he wouldn't grin too broadly. Every pair of eyes except Mickmi's followed Debbie as she skirted the Cortina and found Danny halfway under the front-end working a nut loose.

"Danny, are you trying to hide from me?"

Danny grimaced before pulling out his head from under the car. "Hey, Debbie." He wasn't going to dignify that question with an answer.

"I've got a ticket for you!" she said proudly and offered it to him.

He sat up, wiping his hands, then took the ticket from her. "The Summer Spectacular, huh?" He got up and faced her. "I'm gonna need two."

"What? Why?"

He took a deep breath. "I'll be taking my girlfriend," he said; the word felt strange on his tongue. Despite how close they'd become, he still didn't associate Mickmi with that term.

"But I'm already going to be there so you don't need two tickets."

"Debbie, I didn't mean you..."

She stared at him for a moment, a single furrow appearing between her brows. "Of course it's me, Danny," she said, slipping her arm under his and resting her head on his shoulder. "You don't need anyone else—"

"Debbie, I'm serious. I don't wanna hurt you but I'm really – not – interested in you in that way. Why won't you take my word for it?" He hoped Mickmi could hear what was going on in his head right now, how frustrated he felt. He found himself wondering how he could make it clear enough for Debbie to take off her blinkers and give up on her fantasy.