Chapter 1

Chapter 1

To look at the cloak, one would be forgiven for immediately thinking that the wearer was a common girl. The cloak had been purchased from a common chop with a relatively small amount of money for the sole purpose to concealing the wearer. A large, voluminous hood could be pulled low without obscuring the bearer's vision too badly and the heavy, thick brown cloth gave the impression that the woman hidden underneath might not be more than a simple peasant girl.

Usually, the wearer also took the time to make sure that every other aspect of her appearance was better blended than it was tonight. She simply hadn't had the time to go that extra distance in order to hide herself.

So, if you looked closely, you could see, with each step, the heeled boots that clicked on the stone road embroidered in gold with pearl buttons up the side. As the cloak was kicked up from the power of each angry footstep, it also revealed, underneath it, the brilliant amaranth red of the gown she wore beneath the dull cloak. Golden lace from her petticoat peeked out under the wide skirt. She was keeping her hands elevated, holding the hem of her cloak against her palm to keep it from pulling up, but the arms of her gown could still be seen. It was a very thin mesh that was pulled tight against her arms and pulled over her hands with her thumb pushed through a hole to keep it in place. She had taken the time to remove most of her shining jewelry, but the diamonds and gold flakes painted onto her fingernails like the most expensive and miniature of canvases was still quite obvious.

The wind blew through the twilight darkened street, nearly pushing back her hood. She barely managed to grab it in time to prevent her long, golden hair from escaping. Unlike her rings, she hadn't had the time or ability to remove the elaborate, jeweled hair net holding up the half bun on the back of her head or the long, dangling earrings twinkling at her jaw and neck.

Luckily, it was dark and most of the city's inhabitants were either busy eating supper or ignoring the girl after a cursory glance didn't immediately reveal the hidden wealth beneath the brown cloak.

She wasn't going very far. Her sisters wouldn't have been foolish enough to put too much distance between themselves and their guards. Then again, she also didn't think them so foolish as to sneak out on this night of all nights. If their parents found them, especially their mother, they were all going to be in such trouble.

The girl knew her sisters well. They had their favorite place in town and she knew that the three of them would rather be there than anywhere else. At least the owner of the pub could be trusted to be discreet and keep an eye on her errant sisters.

The tavern came into view. Unlike the closed businesses around it, the windows were filled with light this time of night. She could hear laughter and raucous music spilling out of the cracked front door along with the smell of ale and food.

The girl pushed on the door and stepped inside deliberately. Angrily. She shut it behind her and glared around at the pub, hands on her hips.

There were a lot of men and women here tonight. Laughing, talking, and having a fine old time. Good-natured, hard working people that were just eager to end a long day of labor with a pint of ale and some spirited dancing.

The tavern, The Blessed Pot, was a favorite haunt for the girl and her sisters. The good people, the tasty food, and the upbeat atmosphere made it a fun place to go to when they snuck out. Sometimes, the girl even joined her sisters here.

But not on this night!

It didn't take her long to locate her sisters. She only had to follow the sound of pealing laughter and the scent of expensive perfumes that managed to be an undercurrent even through the food and beer. And, once she followed the sounds and scents upstairs, she spotted the three instantly.