ı 06 ı Our Blackened Hearts

Start from the beginning

I scoff, baffled that he would actually think that. "No!" I exclaim. 

"Then where were you?" Joel asks, his arms crossed across his chest. James stands there with his hands in his pockets, patiently awaiting my response. 

I let out a sigh. "If you really must know, I took a drive to Mystic Falls and back." 

"You took a casual seven hour drive twice? A casual 14 hours of driving?" Joel says. "Why?" 

I shrug. "Wanted to see Caroline." 

"Bullshit," Joel says, pointing a finger at me accusingly. "You were trying to give Theo a place to live inside the anti-magic border, weren't you?" 

James suddenly intervenes, holding his hands up as he stands between Joel and I. "Now why would Blair do that? She's clearly Theo's mother." 

"Little Theo is turning into being quite the little psychopath. Nearly killed two Travellers last week," Joel says. 

James turns to me, his mouth agape. "What?" 

I scratch the back of my neck, embarrassed with how I've used Theo to help us. Although it has worked, I do feel bad for letting him use his magic to hurt others. They might've been bad people, but I'm going to have to do a good job on teaching him the difference between right and wrong if I'm going to prevent him from turning into an evil little witch. 

"Yeah, he's been using his magic more," I say with a wince. "He's quite good for a four year old." 

"A little too good if you ask me," Joel comments, earning him a shove in the stomach from James. He lets out a grunt before moving to smack James, but James is quick, grabbing Joel's wrist and bending it backwards. Joel whines from the pain and pulls back leaving him standing a few steps back, holding his wrist to his chest. 

I send him a teasing smile before I'm interrupted by James who now stands in front of me. "What is the real reason you went to Mystic Falls today, Blair?" he asks. 

I purse my lips knowing no lie I tell will ever be enough. "Fine, you want to know the truth? Okay, here's the truth. Caroline and I dug up your grave to see if there was a body or not in your casket." 

James and Joel just stand there, not saying anything as they stare at me. "Is it something I said?" I tease, snapping my fingers in front of them. 

"Why did you do that?" James asks. 

"Because I wanted to make sure that you were really alive. I had to see it for myself in order to sort out everything that's happening in here," I say, pointing to my head. 

"Did you find a body though?" Joel asks, genuinely curious. "It is kind of weird how that whole process worked. It would've made more sense if you woke up back in your body. Does that mean your body teleported over to the anchor-Bonnie, I mean?" 

"There was no body," I say. "No body meaning you are real, and Damon is gone." 

James looks down at the floor as Joel frowns, staring at me as if waiting for me to cry. Unfortunately for him, I'm all teared out. "I'm going to go to bed. It's been a long day with lots of driving. Goodnight," I say. 

I head up the stairs and get ready for bed, slipping into pyjamas and brushing my teeth. I climb into bed and lay on my back, staring at the ceiling as I replay some of today's events in my mind. I rethink everything I've done, question my emotions and try to make sense of them. 

Suddenly, there's a knock on my bedroom door. "Come in," I say. 

James walks in, closing the door behind him. He sits on the edge of the bed, placing a hand on mine. "Are you okay?" he asks. "Be real with me."