"Out of the running"

Annabeth's POV

We were at the border of camp - by Thalia's Tree - when we caught Percy.

I didn't understand why at the time, but I had known somewhere deep within me that he was leaving camp for the last time and once he got past the border, gut instinct told me that he would be able to get away without any trouble.

My gut feelings were usually right, so I told the others what I was thinking and we chased after him. Determination was painted on our faces as we ran, campers knew to dodge out of our way or be trampled. We couldn't stop if we wanted to stop Percy.

It was at the border where we caught him. We had him pressed against Thalia's Tree. Fortunately, Thalia and Nico were here so that may make things a bit easier. We had strength in numbers.

Percy looked around, eyes widening when he saw the son of Hades. He reached to his head and pulled of his beanie but it escaped none of our notice.

Nico's eyes flashed with recognition at the sight of the beanie and he stumbled back.

"Bianca's cap," Nico angrily said, his voice changing from a whisper to  an enraged shout, "HOW DO YOU HAVE HER HAT! GIVE IT TO ME, NOW!"

He lunged at Percy but it seemed like he was expected it. Percy glared at Nico in defiance, "No. Bianca gave it to me. She told me to take it to honour her, she made that decision, Nico. Not you."

Not learning his lesson, Nico lunged for him again. Instead of ducking like we all expected him to, he jumped straight over Nico's head.

We were stunned for a second before I cautious stepped towards him, breaking everyone else out of their reverie. "Percy, what happened to you?" I asked him.

He laughed at me, a dark humourless laugh that scared me. It wasn't him.

"Nothing ever happened to me, Annabeth, how much do you really know about me?" He raised an eyebrow.

He sprints past me and out of the defensive circle, stopping a few metres away.

"I'm done being a pawn, Annabeth," he told me. "I am done losing people."

He took a deep breath, "I'm done with my Fatal Flaw, Annabeth, I'm done."

I gaped at him as the wind howled around us all, thunder crashed over head, sealing his words.

He was no longer loyal.

Gasps were heard around me, had I spoken aloud?

He smirked at us but something about him seemed more sinister now, could a fatal flaw change someone that much?

"If I have no forced loyalty, I can leave." Percy whispered to himself, but the wind carried his words and we heard them. He coughed and spoke louder, "Goodbye. I hope you realise what is coming, it would be a shame if you didn't."

He turned and sprinted, we chased after him. Piper shouted at him to stop but he raised a wall of water that blocked her charmspeak.

The water swirled around him in a swirling hurricane and my eyes widen as I worked out what was about to happen a second before it did, "No!"

He was gone, evaporated into the mist.

"Goodbye half-bloods. Next time we meet, it will not be in the false pretence of friends." His voice echoed around the hill, and I involuntarily shivered at his tone of voice, I'd never heard it this cold when directed at me before.

Leo coughed awkwardly, "Does anyone else realise that Poseidon team is now out of the running for capture the flag?"

"Who cares about capture the flag?!" Nico angrily exploded, "Percy has Bianca's favourite hat!"

Percy Jackson: Life In The Land Beyond The Gods [The Completed Rewrite]On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara