Campfire Blues

Hazel's POV

We didn't see Percy until the end of the next day, having the busy schedules that we did. Annabeth had given Frank and I a brief tour around the camp and a schedule of activities we would do with our cabins after we had unpacked our stuff. The time had flown past that point.

According to Annabeth, the campfire seating arrangement had become more lenient since the Giant war and we were allowed to sit with our friends now instead of our cabins. Nico had chosen to sit next to me though, so I was technically still sat with my cabin. Frank sat on my other side and next to him was Leo and his girlfriend Calypso, Jason and Piper sat next to them.

After singing some song about how our grandmother puts on her armour for war - which I felt was a rather traumatic experience - a loud cough drew everyone's attention to Nico's boyfriend, Will Solace.

"As is tradition, during the summer season at Camp Half-Blood we try to get as many campers to give a performance at the Campfire at least once to make sure everyone gets involved. Tonight, we've managed to get Percy Jackson to come up - so please welcome to the floor, Percy Jackson!"

We all cheered loudly and clapped for Percy as he walked over to the wooden stage that the Apollo cabin had occupied only a few moments ago, Percy carried a stool and placed it in the centre of it before casually grabbing a guitar off the son of Apollo.

He sat down on the stool and gave Will a quick glare, then turning to address the camp. "What's up guys?"

I furrow my eyebrows, trying to remember what Percy had said yesterday.

"I don't usually sing," He continued. "But it's tradition apparently and Will asked me to, so complaints go to him."

He got a few chuckles in return but for some reason there was just a strange feeling of tension that ran around the campfire, I shivered despite the warmth of the magical fire and Frank wrapped his arm around my waist to try warm me up.

I rested my head on his shoulder as Percy began to play his song.

"Demigods seem to find out early,
That their lives will always be a tragedy.
For those who try,
To escape their destiny,
Very many try but few succeed.

Thought that I, would be one of them,
Who's lives were not filled with prophecies.
Guess that I, should not have wished that,
Because that's not for a demigod it seems."

I was rather shocked, to be honest, I don't think any of us thought that Percy could sing. He was actually very good at it.

"When I started out I was risky,
Trying to prove that I was no mistake.
I put in all I had, always trying,
But no matter how much I gave, it seemed to take more.

But I can't hide, my lyin' eyes,
And my smile is a thin disguise.
Thought by now, you'd realize,
I'm a Demigod but I'm broken deep inside."

I blinked, not expecting such dramatic lyrics. I can tell nobody else was anticipating that either as the fire is sputtering, changing colours like nobody's business.

After our first war we were hopeful,
Thinking that at last we'd have peace.
We fought so hard,
We lost so many,
Too many fell that day."

First war? I looked to Frank for an answer but he seemed just as confused as I was. I looked around and saw that many of the veterans of the war that both camps were in had remorseful looks on their faces, others openly crying. I would have to ask someone tomorrow, I decided.

"But late at night,
A camper goes missing.
Gone for around seven months.
A plan to save, both of our camps,
A trade of sorts, if you will.

In the desert, Armpit Nevada,
Child of Lightning wakes, finally free.
Joined by the Child of Love,
And that of the Forge.
To rescue the Queen of the Heavens."

I look to see the three mentioned with thoughtful looks on their faces. It was their first quest after all - well not Jason's of course - and it was down in a song that would probably be memorised by Apollo's cabin and sung at other campfires.

"And on the other side of the country,
A quest has started.
To save death himself from the Giants.
They must travel to the land, beyond the gods.
And battle a Giant there too."

The Roman demigods who were visiting at the same time as us have a smug look on their faces, sort of like a 'This is a Greek who wrote this song and we - Romans - are mentioned in it. HA!' look.

He sings the chorus again and I'm starting to get confused, he says he's broken but he always looks really happy, smiling brightly and helping all the young Demigods with their swordsmanship and giving us morale boosts.

"After all their quests, they return together,
But I whisper it's only for a while.
I swear that soon I'll be running, running away forever.
And that's the last this world will know 'bout my life.

And I can't hide, my lyin' eyes,
And my smile, is a thin disguise.
Thought by now, you'd realize,
I'm a Demigod but I'm broken deep inside.
I'm a Demigod yet I'm broken deep inside."

He finished strumming and looked up to a stunned audience. He laughed nervously, "Like I said, complaints go to Will."

I come back to my senses and start to clap loudly for him, soon the other demigods start to clap as well and the entire campfire area is filled with clapping.

He walked over to Will, passing him back his guitar. Will clapped him on the back before politely shoving Percy in the direction of his siblings who start attacking him with questions.