Chapter Thirty-Seven

The next day at rehearsal it's nearly impossible for me to focus as I can only think about seeing my mom. My anticipation makes it hard for me to sit still as I'm bouncing my knees so my whole body moves back and forth each time Daniel calls cut. I can see him eye me every time I begin to fidget, but he chooses not to say something, which I'm thankful for. Styles also chooses not to say anything, but that's because he's too busy attempting to ignore me, but due to my good mood I decide not to care.

Right when Daniel tells us we're done for the day, I quickly pack my things up, say goodbye to Liam and Nat, and I'm basically running out the door.

I reach the sidewalk just at the edge of the parking lot within moments, a hopeful smile on my lips as I search for my mom's car. However, I'm not really sure what the car I'm looking for looks like, which makes the task a little tricky. Perhaps she's parked somewhere and she'll see me, prompting her to pull up to the curb and get me.

A few moments pass by and I decide that she must not be waiting in the parking lot and she's probably just running a little late. Rehearsal did get out a few minutes early after all, and she probably didn't mean she would be there exactly at eight o'clock. I'm just obviously a little over eager.

I continue to wait, bouncing on my heels as I wrap my arms around myself. Most of the cast is now exiting the building, offering their goodbyes as they head to their cars and head home for the night. Nat and Liam also show up after awhile, confused as to why I'm still here just standing in the cold. I tell them my mom is running late and they nod in understanding. They tell me to stay warm before they also leave, not wanting to linger for too long since they know I want to greet my mom alone.

After another five minutes goes by and most of the cars have cleared from the parking lot, I can now feel my toes beginning to grow numb in my leather boots. My teeth are chattering as my whole body shivers, fighting to provide itself with any heat.

I call my mom and when she doesn't answer I leave her a voicemail telling her that I'll be waiting in my car until she gets here. I then quickly make my way to my car and turn it on so the heat is blasting. Slowly my hands and feet begin to defrost, slightly stinging as my blood begins to flow normally once more.

After I'm feeling less like a popsicle, I check the time shown across my dashboard, noting that another five minutes has gone by. I'm starting to get worried that maybe she's lost or something has happened, which causes me to call her again.

For the second time she doesn't answer and I leave her a voicemail telling her to call me if she's lost or anything. Maybe I can help direct her to the right place.

Once I've hung up, I place my phone in my lap and continue to stare at it as I anticipate the moment it may light up with a call from my mom. I don't want to potentially miss it and leave her driving in circles somewhere.

Another five minutes pass.

I call her again, my chest burning as it feels like acid from my stomach is starting to creep up. I can feel the back of my eyes begin to ache as my call once again goes to voicemail. For some reason the sound of her voice causes me to hang up before I can leave a message, and I just hit her contact again, causing my phone to call her once more.

No answer.

I repeat the action once again.

And then again.

Not because I'm expecting that she's going to answer, but because I've realized that she's not going to answer.

Because she's not coming.